Is it safe to travel to Tanzania right now?

Oct 3rd, 2007, 05:10 PM
Original Poster

Is it safe to travel to Tanzania right now?

Hello, we've heard that its unsafe for american tourists in Kenya, Rwanda, and Tanzania right now. We're headed to these 3 countries in December. Should we reschedule to avoid these areas? Or postpone our trip? Can anyone shed some light? THANK YOU for your response.
Mandy
Oct 3rd, 2007, 06:27 PM

was in tanzania in july, and had a wonderful time, and everybody treated us great. i even joked with a local about our president, and the possible future president. didn't hear about any problems for other americans.
Oct 3rd, 2007, 10:55 PM

mandy, where did you hear this?

Those countries are perfectly safe.
Oct 4th, 2007, 06:03 AM
Original Poster

Hello, We read it on the US Deptartment of State website:
http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_pa_tw/tw/tw_923.html
Thank you.
Oct 4th, 2007, 06:43 AM
Original Poster

Everyone thanks for your responses. I just spoke with the Kenyan Embassy and they said that its safe, and I spoke with the US Embassy and they said that there is quite a bit of random violence and armed robberies aimed at tourists.
Are they just being overly cautious?
Oct 4th, 2007, 06:58 AM

I would guess that this is basically the same warning they have had for years.

There is usually some sort of violence at all times, but (I think) most of it is in the cities. If you are going to be doing a safari, then you will be removed from this kind of threat.

I can't tell you what to do.....but unless there was news of a specific threat - then I would proceed with your travel plans.
Oct 4th, 2007, 07:46 AM

The State Department's warnings/descriptions of countries are always very conservative, almost alarmist, in tone, and will easily put off anyone who has not read one before. My personal rule of thumb is that I read them, but I put much more stock in the experiences of other travelers and I take great comfort by booking with a reputable company familiar with local conditions.

Case in point: we went to Rwanda and Uganda earlier this year, and the areas we visited (on the border with the DRC) were the subject of active travel warnings by the US, British and Australian foreign services. However, we knew that lots of tourists were going there with no problems, plus our tour operator (Volcanoes Safaris) was extremely reputable. So we traveled without reservation, and had a wonderful time with no incidents or problems whatsoever.

So I would caution you against getting too wrapped up in the State Department's comments -- if you took guidance solely from those comments, you would probably be restricting yourself to never traveling anywhere!

Chris