Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Africa & the Middle East
Reload this Page >

Is it critical to rent a car in Africa? Don't want to miss out. Don't want to lug it around either.

Search

Is it critical to rent a car in Africa? Don't want to miss out. Don't want to lug it around either.

Search this Thread

Old Mar 27th, 2003, 04:42 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What to do, what to do.
Old Mar 28th, 2003, 10:51 AM

Critical? No. Cheaper than a guided tour? Probably. There are fabulous train tours like the Blue Train which offers pure luxury on tracks. There is always Greyhound but that leaves you stuck with a schedule not of your own making. Taxi service as Americans and Europeans know it, is not available outside the main centers like Cape Town, Jo'burg and Durban.<BR>Hope this helps.<BR>golfer<BR>[email protected]
Old Mar 28th, 2003, 09:07 PM

When I go to SAfrica again, I would rent a car but I feel that way about most places. It's a wonderful way to see the country. I would also jump at the chance to go on the Blue Train.
Old Mar 29th, 2003, 09:41 AM

Mariacallas, I thought the objective of renting a car was to have the car lug you around. ;-)<BR><BR>You can always rent a car for each town you are in, hand it back at the airport, move on and rent a car in the next town.<BR><BR>It's a car rental, not a commitment.
Old Mar 29th, 2003, 09:59 AM
DE

Would anyone happen to know what the average cost would be if hiring a guide for a day from Cape Town, to do some sightseeing? Thanks.

Old Mar 29th, 2003, 07:42 PM

For De: ask Selwyn,he'll tell you. Patricia
Old Mar 30th, 2003, 10:10 AM
DE

Thanks Patricia, WIll do.

Old Mar 30th, 2003, 10:39 AM

Dear DE<BR> There is one more expert when it comes to Cape Town: Please e-mail Amiene van der Merwe who lives there: [email protected] She is wonderful as well. Please let me know Patricia
Old Mar 30th, 2003, 11:53 AM
DE

Hi Patricia,<BR>Have sent emails off and hope to hear back from them soon. Thanks again. DE

Old Mar 30th, 2003, 01:15 PM

Dear De<BR> One more I forgot-he knows me &amp; when I was in SAfrica ,he did all my bookings-just mention my name Patricia Shatz: his name is Christo Hauptfleisch, you can send him an e-mail at [email protected] I was very pleased with him and send him my regards please. Let me know
Old Mar 30th, 2003, 04:15 PM
DE

Hi Patricia,<BR><BR>We sent Christo an email earlier in the week regarding some other inquiries however we have not heard back from him as yet. Thanks DE

Old Mar 30th, 2003, 05:57 PM

Dear DE, Christo is usually fast at replying;just send him another one and on the subject line put&quot;WILD TRAVEL-CHRISTO&quot;-that will do it. He's a good man &amp; mention my name as he knows me. Let me know what happens and please can I go in your suitcase? Pretty please!!!???
Old Mar 30th, 2003, 06:21 PM
DE

Hi again Patricia,<BR><BR>I don't even know how I'm going to get all my stuff in the suitcase so I definitely won't have any room to spare, so... sorry.<BR>Thanks for your suggestion and I will try another email to Christo. DE

Old Mar 31st, 2003, 12:30 PM
DE

FOR PATRICIA,<BR><BR>Got a response from Amiene at wanderwoman and she sounds great. Gave me some good information with a couple of questions I had. Thanks again for suggesting I contact her. DE

Old Mar 31st, 2003, 02:07 PM

Dear De,<BR><BR> A real pleasure to be of help. She comes well recommended. Very glad for you. Patricia