Is it common to wait on tour confirmations?

Reply

Jul 31st, 2005, 08:03 AM
  #1
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 4
Is it common to wait on tour confirmations?

My fiancee and I recently requested a safari booking from a recommeded tour operator. We finalized our intinerary on the 20th of July (Kenay,Tanzania and Zanzibar). We've been told that the they cannot provide booking confirmation because they are waiting for all the lodges to provide written confirmation.

We are leaving on the 14 of September. My fiancee is getting a little anxious that we have not been given final confirmation. Has anyone else had this experience? Should we have faith in the operator that we will get the lodges we were given in the itinerary? Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated.
gujjupun is offline  
Reply With Quote
Jul 31st, 2005, 02:35 PM
  #2
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 62
I'm assuming that the confirmations are for specific lodges, or other accomodation. If so, the operator has likely booked you into alkternate accomodation and is awaiting a response on your first preference. When did you last contact the operator? Which operator are you using?
cocco1 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Jul 31st, 2005, 02:44 PM
  #3
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 12,727
What kind of an update has your tour operator provided you in the mean time? Have they been able to confirm some of your accomodations? It's possible that some of the lodges haven't replied yet or perhaps some are full and have waitlisted you and are awaiting cancellations to see if they can accomodate you (less than 2 months is not very much advance notice for booking in high season). Those are a few possible scenarios, but I'm just guessing. I would email your tour operator and share your concerns with them and see if they can give you a clearer picture of what's happening at the moment and a realistic idea of whether you'll be accomodated at the lodges you selected. I wouldn't automatically assume that an itinerary proposal is finalized until all availability has been confirmed.
Patty is offline  
Reply With Quote
Aug 1st, 2005, 05:36 AM
  #4
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 4
Thanks cocc01 and Patty for the advice. We booked through sunworld safaris. They have been good in emailing us to let us know what lodges have been able to book, so I have no doubt of their sincerity. They mentioned via email on the 30th that "we are working on your confirmations and our sub agent in Tanzania has
informed us that they are waiting for some lodges to clear the block
bookings and then it will be possible for them to confirm your booking."

They have been able to secure our Kenya part of the trip. We're doing Masai Mara first (David Livingstone Resort) and then going to Tanzania to Ngorongoro and then Olduvai and the Serengeti. After that we'll stay a few days in Zanzibar.

We didn't really select the lodges. We left that up to Sunworld. I will take your advice and email them with our concerns. As long as we know alternative arrangements can be made, we won't worry.



gujjupun is offline  
Reply With Quote
 



Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 04:56 AM.