Is Egypt good in the winter?

Jun 18th, 2000, 08:31 AM
Kali

Is Egypt good in the winter?

My family is booking a tour to Egypt but is uneasy about whether or not to go during December- January. Any advise would be much appreciated! Thank you!

Jun 22nd, 2000, 03:14 AM
Myriam

Weather will be fine for a tour: high 70s during the day but cold nights. You should however find out when ramaddan will take place in 2001 because in that period service is at a very low level.

Jul 20th, 2000, 05:39 AM
alia

hi kali
in dec-jan the weather is relatively cold. it is around 20c. ramadan this year happens to be in december, it ends around the 28th, then comes the feast. in ramadan the service is not slow but the hours change. (for example u cannot do anything or go anywhere between 3-6. the streets are jammed beyond imagiantion, everyone is trying to go home before sunset (that's when we eat). but teh night life is richest at that time if year, oriental tents in hotels and restaurants are held, with oriental music and food.

Jul 20th, 2000, 09:28 AM
shannon

It is also only polite to do as the locals do during the holy festivals. As a politeness to your hosting country, you should "fast" along with them and only eat after sundown.

Jul 24th, 2000, 12:34 PM
cash

Kali,
By all means go in the winter. I went at the end of Oct and the temperatures were 96 to 116! If I ever went again I said I would do it in Jan/Feb. If you think the 60 or 70s are cold, that might be another story, but I think those are mighty nice touring temperatures. Evenings may require a light jacket or sweater. Fascinating destination!

Jul 27th, 2000, 07:43 PM
Ginger

For me,temps in the 60-70 range sound perfect. Anything else that would make Jan-Feb. a good /bad time to go? How crowded, length of daylight, holidays, adverse conditions such as sandstorms? Any of a hundred other things I can't think of sitting here and never having been there? Thanks!

Jul 27th, 2000, 11:46 PM
russell

Kali,

I was in Egypt last winter from mid January to mid February. I was coming from Thailand and did not have many warm clothes. I wish I had a good synthetic fleece jacket and hat. Day temperatures in Cairo can be as low as 50F (10C). While it is warmer in the day (70F, 21C) the farther south one travels (Luxor, Aswan), remember it is colder at night because of the surrounding desert (30-40 F 0-5C). Perhaps the coldest day was in Abu Simbel, which is technically in the tropics. It was exceptional bitter that day. The same day I read Jerusalem had a snow storm. In the Sinai, on the other hand, it was warmer than in Luxor or Aswan though it was farther north because of the water, and I when diving every day. However, I froze after dark
at Mount Sinai waiting for my van to arrive.
In summary, an excellent time to go weatherwise, just be prepared for the occasional cold weather, especially at attitude (Mount Sinai), in the north along the coast (Cairo), and at night in the desert.

Jul 29th, 2000, 08:56 PM
Crelly

Egypt in Winter is perfect. Egypt during Ramadan is not so perfect.

Winter: I was there this past Dec/Jan and was fine in only a light sweater even as I rode camels around the Pyramids and as I walked the streets during the evenings as the Muslims broke their fast.

Ramadan: It is the holiest of Islamic holidays. If you have definite plans to go to Egypt around Nov/Dec in the next few years, it would be best to read up on the restrictions that are placed on Muslims during this time. It really does have an effect on you the visitor. I definitely would not return to Egypt during this holiday! The folks just aren't at their best after a day of no food and liquid and a night deprived of sleep because they are making up for lost time with the food and drink and this cycle repeats itself daily for about a month.

Jul 30th, 2000, 09:55 PM
Michelle

Hi Kali & Ginger: This year Ramadan is predicted to start around Nov 27 and end Dec 26, however, as the commencement of Ramadan depends on the sighting of the moon these dates could change by a day or two. If you are planning for next rather than this year, you can guess rough dates by pulling everything forward by 11 days per year.

If this is to be your first or maybe only time you plan to visit M.E. I would suggest avoiding Ramadan and the Eid (the three days after Ramadan ends). While the nights in Ramadan do have a festive air (shops stay open very late, people more relaxed and joyous), the days are a different matter. Life slows down, things don't work as well, many places are closed totally or decide to close early. It can be frustrating, particularly if you are on holiday and want to see as much as you can in a short time.

As to weather, nights can be chilly so remember to bring a jacket.

Search this Thread