Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Africa & the Middle East (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/)
-   -   Is Dubai too hot Mid September (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/is-dubai-too-hot-mid-september-347542/)

Donie Aug 13th, 2003 01:26 AM

Is Dubai too hot Mid September

Im considering going to Dubai for 5 nights mid september ,as its still low season , and staying at the Ritz Carlton, I just wondered if it will still be very hot, also do you think 5 nights is enough.
Many Thanks.

Melnq8 Aug 16th, 2003 10:25 PM

Donie -

I was in Dubai two weeks ago. It was very hot, but less humid than the last time I visited - a fluke no doubt.

The average temperature in Dubai for the month of September is 103F. The normal temps from May-Sept are 104-113F. Lows in September are around 77F (after dark of course).

Hotel rates drop significantly between May and September, so good deals are not uncommon.

As far as beach activities go, it will depend on how tough you are. Just yesterday several of us went jet skiing in the Gulf here in Kuwait - it was 113F, but we had fun just the same. The water temp was too hot though - not much fun for swimming.

Five nights should be plenty, depending of course on where you're coming from - jet lag - and what you plan to do.

molker Aug 20th, 2003 11:30 AM

It all depends on your tolerance for heat.
It is very, very hot during the day.
After sundown it becomes more liveable.
Obvviously, this is the reason for such bargains at the hotels.
We usually go to Dubai in November and April. The weather is better.
The shops stay open quite late in the evening as most people shop then.
If you can go another time it would be much better.

If this is a once and only opportunity, I would still go ,it is a great place to visit.

Donie Aug 26th, 2003 07:08 AM

Thank you both for your advice., still not sure what to do, the deals on the flights and hotel are tempting , but then Im not very good in the heat, my other option is Turkey , which is nerly as hot, is it worth it for the hotel and the shopping,?
Donie

Melnq8 Aug 26th, 2003 08:28 AM

Donie -

I've never been to Turkey, so I can't help you there. Dubai is definitely an interesting place, but probably not a place I would've visited while living in the US.

I've lived in Saudi Arabia and I currently live in Kuwait (I'm American)For myself, and other expatriates living in these areas, Dubai is a nice weekend getaway. It's very Western; it's well developed and incredibly modern, yet it still manages to retain some old world Arabic feel.

The attraction for expats living in more restricted areas is that Dubai is an oasis of tolerance. We go there for a little R&R - we can purchase and consume alcohol, eat pork, dress less conservatively, eat at nice restaurants, stay in nice hotels, and shop for items we can't find in our host countries.

I don't know where you live, or what your interests are, but I'm curious about why you're interested in Dubai in particular.

If you're traveling from the US, I guess I wouldn't recommend you travel all that way just to stay in a nice hotel and shop. Dubai does offer good shopping, but it's no better than what you'd find in the US, unless of course you're shopping for GOLD. I do love jewelery and Dubai is a great place to shop for it.

If you're just looking for an unusual destination, you might want to consider Oman. I've been there twice and can't wait to go back. It's very much the pearl of the gulf and any visit there is a very unique experience.

Donie Aug 27th, 2003 02:17 AM

Hi Melinq 8,
Why Dubai?
I live in London , for the most part I spend my holidays in Europe, but am now trying to widen my horizons, Dubai, was suggested by my travel agent last September when I was actually enquiring about Barbados, he said it wasnt the best time of year ( end of September )too rainy and recommended Dubai as somewhere different he had been more than once, and a few colleauges from work have been enroute from somewhere else, For me the main appeal are the nice hotels, I like the luxury and Ive heard the shopping is very good, In terms of budget because of the time of year it is as cheap as destinations in Europe, but the hotel would be much better , the only thing thats putting me off is if I could live with the heat,
Ive got to decide in the next day or two ,as my holiday starts on Monday,the September issue of Conde Naste Traveller, has a leading article " Dubai the fastest growing destination on Earth "
So it all sounds very intresting, So Im going Im not just sure when.

Melnq8 Aug 27th, 2003 09:57 AM

Sounds like Dubai is just what you're looking for then - lots of very nice hotels and endless shopping.

There are also some excellent English and Irish pubs if you're looking for a pint - The Irish Village is a recent discovery of mine (it's located near Deira City Center) It's very Irish - something I wasn't expecting in Dubai!

Dubai has a large community of British expats and it's a popular destination for German tourists in the winter.

If you want super luxury, you might want to check out the Burj Al Arab. They give tours of the hotel for a fee, but unfortunately, they weren't offering tours when we were there last. I'm afraid a tour is as close as I'm going to get to that particular hotel.

I'm not familiar with the Ritz Carlton, but I have stayed at the Fairmont and I've heard wonderful things about the new Grand Hyatt.

Is the Ritz Carlton located in the city or on the beach? Keep in mind that the beach and the city are some distance apart, and taxi fare from one to the other can add up in a hurry.

Otherwise, taxis are very convenient and cheap.

Unless you plan to spend your entire day lounging on the beach, I think you'll be able to tolerate the heat. Everything is well air conditioned, and if you plan on shopping, you should be quite comfortable.

To me, Dubai is rather expensive, but coming from London, it will probably seem reasonable.

Have a great trip!

Donie Aug 28th, 2003 09:15 AM

The Ritz Carlton, is on the beach, and its your regular Ritz Carlton , with a lot of Eastern /Arabian influence, Im actually Irish and someone had mentioned the Irish Village if I was desperate for a pint, Im not a big drinker , so no alcohol,is not a problem
At this late stage, I still havent decided, but am checking availability again this evening,
Donie,