Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Africa & the Middle East (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/)
-   -   Is anyone else unable to access the forums via Blackberry or other mobile browser? (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/is-anyone-else-unable-to-access-the-forums-via-blackberry-or-other-mobile-browser-753995/)

Patty Dec 19th, 2007 07:02 AM

Is anyone else unable to access the forums via Blackberry or other mobile browser?

Since last night, all I get when I type in any Fodors address is a page like this:

<i>This mobile site is best viewed with CSS enabled

Fodors (logo)

215x34 ADVERTISEMENT

Select Region
USA
Canada
Caribbean
Mexico and Central America
South America
Europe
Asia
Africa and Middle East
Australia and The Pacific

Copyright 2008 Fodor's Travel, a division of Random
House, Inc.</i>

And the content I can access is very limited with no access that I can see to the forums. It looks like they might have created a new limited content mobile site and now I can't read/post from my Blackberry :((

Jess215 Dec 19th, 2007 07:19 AM

I haven't tried on my BB yet, but on my PC I am getting a lot of &quot;Internet Explorer has encountered a problem and has to close.&quot;
Jess

richardfh Dec 19th, 2007 07:31 AM

Patty,

I get the same page... hope its just temperary, as I like to read the forums off my BB.

Richard

Patty Dec 19th, 2007 08:09 AM

Thanks, good to know it's not just me. I too hope it's temporary. I sent an email to Fodors this morning to ask what was up.

Katie_H Dec 19th, 2007 08:34 AM

Patty- I immediately forwarded your email to our technical development team and should be able to get back to you shortly (later today to tomorrow) with more details as I'm not sure the exact reason it's not working.

We have been working towards some mobile upgrades so I imagine that it is an issue on our end.

Thanks for your patience! We wouldn't want to limit your ability to view and post off your Blackberry.

Katie_H Dec 19th, 2007 10:08 AM

Hi Patty (and all),
We've just made some tweaks. Could you try it again to let me know if it's back up to its usual self.

Thank you for alerting us. I'm curious how often users do use their Blackberry to view or post.

Anybody else?

Patty Dec 19th, 2007 10:15 AM

=D&gt; It's working now, whew!

Thanks so much for looking into this Katie!

I'm posting this from my BB.

Patty Dec 19th, 2007 10:29 AM

And sorry if I sounded a bit frantic in my email this morning. Sign of a true junkie, I guess ;)

Some sites have limited access for mobile browsers and I was hoping you guys weren't going that direction.

As far as how often I use my BB to view or post, I would say probably half my viewing is on my BB. Posting is limited to short replies. If I have something long to post, I'll do it from a PC since I can't type very fast with my thumbs :p

CarlaM Dec 19th, 2007 10:31 AM

I get this when I try to log on with my AOL browser:

http://www.fodors.com/mobile/t1.php

But I can log in with my IE browser.

CarlaM Dec 19th, 2007 10:33 AM

Forgot to say that this is with my laptop, not a Blackberry.

Katie_H Dec 19th, 2007 10:36 AM

Hi Carla,

On AOL on your laptop you're coming to this page: http://www.fodors.com/mobile/t1.php

Is that right? Are you entering www.fodors.com and then it's taking you directly to the mobile site?

Thanks for letting me know. We have been doing some alpha/beta trials of some mobile applications and we certainly like to know what our tinkering is causing things to go amiss.

Thanks again Patty for helping us catch that.

CarlaM Dec 19th, 2007 10:47 AM

That is correct Katie. On my AOL browser, I type in fodors.com and it goes to that link I just posted.

Everything is ok with IE browser.

Katie_H Dec 19th, 2007 12:00 PM

Hi Carla---
Could you try it again too?
Thanks!

CarlaM Dec 19th, 2007 04:55 PM

Katie,same thing. I did just noticed one difference on the address bar (AOL browser) there is a new orange box that says FEEDS. Maybe that has something to do with it?

Patty May 9th, 2008 09:30 AM

I'm now having a different problem accessing the forums via my BB since approx 2 weeks ago.

If I go to www.fodors.com, I get the Fodors mobile site. At the bottom, I click on View Full Website. That takes me to the regular home page where I can see Community Travel Talk Forums. But when I click on any of the actual forums (such as Airlines, etc.), my blackberry seems to attempt to load the next page over and over without actually ever completely loading the page. It just continues to do this on and on and on until I stop it.

I can also go to www.fodors.com/forums which takes me directly to the Travel Talk page, but again if I click on any of the forums, it does the same thing.

Is anyone having a similar problem? I use a 8800 model BB. I've tried someone else's 8700 and am able to access the forums. I don't know if the model has anything to do with the issue as I don't know anyone else with a 8800 to test.

During this time I've been able to access other forums such as Flyertalk, Tripadvisor, etc., just not Fodors. I've also been able to access other parts of the Fodors website such as Destinations and Travel News, just not the forums.

Katie and I have been working on this but they've made no changes on their end and I've made no changes on my end, so I'm stumped!

If I can't get this resolved, I won't be able to post updates &quot;from the tarmac&quot; ;)

Patty Nov 6th, 2008 03:09 PM

Nov 4 was not only significant as the date of the presidential election in the US, but it was also the launch date of the Blackberry Bold in the US.

I'm finally now able to read the forums again after being Blackberry Fodorsless for more than 6 months, woohoo! :D

LAleslie Nov 6th, 2008 04:10 PM

Curious as to whether people have problems with iPhones. I'm thinking about getting one to take to Africa, among other places. (Yes, I know the roaming fees are horrendous).

sundowner Nov 6th, 2008 04:43 PM

I posted in The Lounge last night from my iphone.

Patty Nov 6th, 2008 05:01 PM

Ugh, the back cover keeps coming off. It seems they had this problem pre-release too :( I'm gonna have to take it back tomorrow to see if I can get one that sort of stays on.

HariS Nov 6th, 2008 05:49 PM

LALeslie,

Just got the iphone recently - it's addictive and I'm thinking of giving it up!!!

Keep going to the sports sites for up to the minute updates - too addictive!!!!