Search

Internal Flights - Egypt

Search this Thread

Old Aug 12th, 2002, 08:33 AM
Candice

Internal Flights - Egypt

Advice required on internal flights within Eygpt.<BR><BR>Can anyone advise on standard of planes, service, and in particular safety?<BR><BR>Many thanks

Old Aug 20th, 2002, 09:47 AM
patricia

We took several flights within Egypt and found all planes to be similar to the dinky planes flying between Pittsburgh and New York these days. We didn't have any problems or concerns and wouldn't hesitate to use them again. We also flew Egypt Air New York-Cairo and return. Compared favorably to any other I've been on. I wouldn't worry about using them.

Old Aug 20th, 2002, 10:40 AM
gail

We flew several internal flights on EgyptAir. Except for plane Aswan-Abu Simbel, all were newer than many I have flown on in US. Service was efficient, everything in Arabic, English and several other languages. They served tea before coffee, and tea drinkers had an easier time getting a refill. Planes were very clean.<BR><BR>Airports were a little old and tired, but the security personnel actually looked at the monitors when scanning luggage. <BR><BR>Safety - what can I say. Our planes did not crash, and felt no more or less safe than on US carriers.<BR><BR>We also flew JFK-Cairo RT. There seemed to be more people able to speak English in Cairo than at JFK. Planes was very new, food was a little odd (sort of like a spiced Thanksgiving dinner with falafels), we were freezing, but they give you eye shields, foot warmers, nice blankets and pillows. They also had a "cockpit cam" that was pointed towards the ground for takeoffs and landings - gave me the creeps to see the runway approaching, but others in our group loved it.

Old Sep 2nd, 2002, 06:38 AM
Mary

Flew several Egyptair flights during 2000 visit. No real food served, so make sure you've had breakfast, lunch, or whatever before heading onto the plane. Tea was plentiful, as was stated by another poster -- soda was nonexistent.<BR><BR>Flights were fine -- found out that in Sharm El Sheikh, we had to pay cash for our tickets (couldn't accept credit cards) at the airport. <BR><BR>Nice thing -- tickets are the same price whether you buy an hour ahead of flight or a month ahead.

Old Sep 2nd, 2002, 08:51 AM
michele

Candice,<BR>Took several flights within Egypt all on EgyptAir. No problems with safety; service was another issue. We had confirmed tickets from Cairo to Luxor ( had to meet cruise ship there). For some unexplained reason our tickets were not accepted and we were told there was no room on the flight. Well, we were shuttled around to about three different offices and got different stories at each of them. Finally, someone just took our tickets and ushered us on the flight..it wasn't even full. I have friends who fly to Cairo frequently and speak Arabic and said this kind of thing is common. So, be prepared for some disorganization and if you need to connect somewhere, give yourself plenty of time. The only other advice I have is if you are planning to fly to Abu Simbel, go on the earliest flight out. It's cooler and less crowded.

Old Sep 2nd, 2002, 03:51 PM
Charlie

Most of the problems one encounters in Egypt,tickets or documents etc.,are easily solved with baksheesh(greasing of palms).Sometime I think the problems are created with baksheesh in mind LOL.