Interesting Aircraft/Airport Site

Feb 13th, 2005, 09:48 AM
Original Poster

Interesting Aircraft/Airport Site

Just found this site that features aircraft and airports all over the world including Africa. I have been wondering what the terminals in Arusha, Grumeti, Lake Manyara, Nairobi, etc would look like. Also lots of pictures of aircraft on the ground and in the air. Thought others would enjoy as well! Just click on the country that you are interested in, then sort by location.
Feb 13th, 2005, 09:49 AM
Original Poster

Oops - Forgot to post the site:

http://www.airliners.net/search/indexsearch.main
Feb 13th, 2005, 11:18 AM

I guess I laughed when I read your post as once you have been to the Mara or Serengeti, it brings a chuckle to think of the airports on the Mara, or Klein's Camp. Actually it was sort of nostalgic to see the landing strips which happen to be all there is. You just sit in the vehicle at the strip as the airplane finally comes into view and circles then pulls up. They are all the same and there is no place to see.
Thanks for posting the site. It was fun. Of course the main cities have international terminals, etc. Just not the camps strips. Its really part of what makes Africa special to you once you have been there. Kinda like the roads or lack of them. Liz
Feb 13th, 2005, 11:42 AM
sandi

Jazz - Interesting site, but like Liz, as I was reading, I burst out laughing "what airport?" - tears rolling down my face. Sure there is an airport at Nairobi and Kilimanjaro. I recall that Manyara has a hanger, and believe there is a hanger at Amboseli - otherwise, dirt runways.

If anyone is interested, I have a photo indicative of what one might find at African "airstrips" - provide an email address and I'll be glad to forward it on!

Search this Thread