Interesting air fares....

Nov 4th, 2003, 06:15 PM
Original Poster

Interesting air fares....

Looks like some air fare wars are warming up-- BA has $979 fares to/from Africa and NY/Bos/Balt/DC for much of 2004 (slightly better for all but holiday season 2003). I'll keep an eye open to see who's next....this could get really interesting!
Nov 8th, 2003, 09:44 AM

uhoh busted:

I'm curious to find out where you have seen air fares this low. I've checked out BA websites and their flights to Kenya are in the $1,700's and up and KLM is in the $1,600's and up. Is this through a consolidator and if so, which one?

Am trying to plan to return to Kenya in January and would love to see air fares this low. However it would surprise me because every flight I have taken from Boston - Amsterdam - Nairobi has been full to capacity.

On the subject of airline fares and tickets, has anyone on Fodors used frequent flyer miles? I am getting close to award levels and don't have a clue how it is done. Do you have to do it though the airline directly or can a travel agent do the booking for you? Is it better to let air miles continue accruing or use them as you get to award levels?

Plese forgive my ignorance on the matter but I hope to do two Kenya trips a year and figure I'd best learn the best way to do it.

Jan
Nov 8th, 2003, 12:50 PM
sandi

Jan - Whenever I've used miles I go to the airline that holds my miles and book directly with them.

Example: If my miles have accrued in AA, I call them and have them book my flight to London, and then the connecting BA flight to NBO.

This has worked for me whether booking within the States or overseas. Some other posters might do the same or have other suggestions. See what responses you get.

Those are pretty good airfares, but do they say where in Africa? It can be Cairo which is close in to London, but for Kenya or SA it might cost more. I haven't seen these low fares yet, so maybe "uhoh_busted" can provide more info.

Nov 9th, 2003, 09:00 AM
Original Poster

I'm researching for a trip in May, so I check this site waiting for those dates to show up...
http://www.consolidatorwebfares.com/specials.htm

Nov 9th, 2003, 09:10 AM
Original Poster

Hit "post" too soon...
I figure if it shows up here, I can have a TA book it for me at that rate, (whom I would also ask to book anyother short hop flights for me...) or if he/she can't I'll do it myself. I figure if I catch the notice early, I'll be able to get the flights. Also, my primary FF miles carrier (USAirways) as of recently, code shares with Lufthansa...and thinking of all those miles...just makes future trips more possible!
Nov 9th, 2003, 10:05 AM
zuni

I agree with Sandi. The best way to gaurantee a seat since not that many are ever offered is to do it at 10 months to the day you are leaving and again on your return date. That is when they open the free seats for a flight. If you are able to do that and it is not a black out period you will be fine. I did it from Jo'burg to London on Virgin.
Carol

Search this Thread