Insurance

Oct 14th, 2004, 06:32 AM
Original Poster

Insurance

I know this has been covered many times and I have searched through many of the responses. BCBS covers us abroad but you have to pay upfront. I have looked into some travel insurance sites, but OH has pre existing condition..has anyone been able to get medical insurance in this situation?
Oct 14th, 2004, 11:41 AM
sandi

It's not unusual that you have to pay upfront if you pay a visit to a doctor or go into a hospital emergency room while on holiday in a foreign country. You are then reimbursed once you file your claim and provide appropriate documentation. I also believe you have to contact the insurance provider prior service to let them know what you are doing, or for reference to an English speaking doctor, etc. - or if in case of emergency as soon as possible thereafter. Granted the pay-up-front can be offputting if expecting a high bill - heart attack, broken leg, long stay hospital, so this is one reason to have travelers checks - for an emergency. Hopefully, one will never have need for the checks, so just deposit them back into your account when you return home.

As far as pre-existing conditions, if purchasing say a Travel Guard, CSA or Access American trip insurance/cancellation policy including medical, etc. you have to purchase this plan within 7 or 14 days of initial deposit for the trip. You'll find the specific details on the www.insuremytrip.com site.

Oct 15th, 2004, 01:53 AM

Another advantage of travel insurance is it covers something not covered by BCBS or other major carrier - evacuation insurance. That means, they will air ambulance you to US hospital once you are stable if you need extended care. Many will also pay flight and expenses for someone from home to come to you if you are hospitalized in some other country.

Agree with Sandi about paying up front - that is the way it would work, with possibly a few rare exceptions. Even a travel insurance we purchased stated that.

Search this Thread