Instanbul to Aleppo

Sep 10th, 2004, 05:41 AM
Original Poster

Instanbul to Aleppo

Does anyone know which airlines connect Istanbul to Aleppo. My husband and I have 4 extra days in Istanbul and would like to visit it if it's possible.
Sep 10th, 2004, 11:38 AM
sandi

First I'd try Turkish Air. And rather then Aleppo, it might have to be into Damascus, necessitating road transfers.
If not Turkish Air, check the other Middle Eastern country carriers. But don't be surprised if getting to Aleppo might be one of those "can't get there from here." Let us know what you find.

Sep 15th, 2004, 03:50 AM

Kuwait Airways (http://www.kuwait-airways.com/index3.html) and Royal Jordanian Airlines (http://www.rja.com.jo/home/home.asp#) fly there, you have to transit through Kuwait or Amman or another Middle East City. On Royal Jordanian transiting through Amman, the trip from Istanbul to Aleppo would take about 3.5 hours.

I have not been to Aleppo, but was just reading a book by William Dalyrumple and he went via ferry from Cyprus. You might be able to fly to Cyprus and then ferry. Another thought is to fly to Beirut and go overland from there.

According to lonelyplanet.com
"Buses run between Aleppo or Damascus and Istanbul (Turkey), between Damascus and Amman (Jordan), Damascus and Beirut or Tripoli (Lebanon) and Damascus and Riyadh (Saudi Arabia). Trains go from Aleppo to Istanbul and from Damascus to Amman. Service taxis also run from Damascus to most of the neighbouring countries."

I would love to read your report about Aleppo if you get there. Are you going other places in Turkey like Ephesus? Would be worth the 4 days I would think.

Search this Thread