Touring SA in October, Suggestions?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 27th, 2005, 08:49 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am planning a self guided camper tour through SA in October. I will fly into Johannesburg, and plan on seeing the coast, Kruger Park, and Victoria Falls. I would like to see other points of special interest. I'm also somewhat wary of my safety on this trip. So suggestions on safe places to stay overnight would be very helpful. This is a trip of a lifetime for me and my girlfriend, so any local knowledge or advice would be very helpful. Thank you, Tom
Old Jun 28th, 2005, 12:26 AM

Can you be a bit more specific about your interests? Eg nature vs culture vs wildlife etc. Then I can suggest specific places.

Regarding route spcifics, it depends on how long you will be here. Broadly I would divide it in three:

1. Fly to Cape Town, hire your camper, and travel around, taking in either just the surrounding area or if you have time, some of the Garden Route.

2. Fly to Jhb, pick up the camper, and drive to Kruger via Pilgrims Rest (nice camping site on a a river bank)/Hazyview/Sabie.

3. Return to Jhb and fly to Vic Falls.

To drive between these at a leisurely pace you would need several weeks at least.

If you stay in reputable camping and caravaning venues you have nothing to worry safety-wise. Have a look at http://www.ccsa.co.za/home/ for an idea what camping and caravanning is like in South Africa. They also have a searchable camping site database.
Old Jun 28th, 2005, 10:13 AM
Original Poster

Thank you very much for your reply. We are flying into Jhb, and will have 3 weeks at our disposal. Our interests are very broad. So I guess we'd be open to any suggestions. Thank you again
Old Jun 28th, 2005, 01:26 PM

Tom

When you say camper, do you mean those caravan things that you can sleep in?

If so, depending on when you're travelling, I'd recommend pinning down your itinerary and booking spaces in the more popular game parks - there are limited spaces available and they do book out in advance during the high season.

Last year we self-drove in a number of South Africa parks (staying in the self-catering tents/ chalets in the main camps in each park) and had a wonderful experience.

Hluhluwe was fabulous for white rhino and was emptier of fellow guests than other parks. Predators low on the ground, as in most self-drive parks, but lots and lots of other animals to see.

Imfolozi was similar with some stunning vistas too. Some exciting ele encounters here too.

Ithala was visually the most stunning and the memories still make me smile a full year later. Good white rhino sightings and reasonable non-predator animals, but not highest density of game but more than made up for by emptiness and beauty of park.

Ndumo, beautiful scenery, best for birding, crocs and hippos plus the unusual water pans surrounded by the yellow fever trees.

Kruger, highest density of fellow visitors, though there are less-travelled roads and further north is apparently much emptier. Didn't have as remote a feel. Similarly hard to spot predators but good on eles, grazers and good on birds.

Hope this helps...
Old Jun 29th, 2005, 12:58 PM
Original Poster

Kavey, thank you for your reply, and yes it does help
Old Jun 29th, 2005, 02:13 PM

You're welcome.
I recently (finally) got round to posting my pics from that trip, see my recent thread:
http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=34642596