Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Africa & the Middle East (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/)
-   -   Initial S.A advice needed (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/initial-s-a-advice-needed-34404/)

Jen Nov 11th, 1998 12:48 PM

Initial S.A advice needed

I am a Canadian dreaming of going to South Africa and Zimbabwe. My problem is that I have become overwhelmed by the cost of the flight alone. Can anyone out there recommend a travel company with low airfares and the best time to go with respect to price and good weather. I know good weather = high price but there has to be something lower than what I have found in my searches. I really want to go but don't want to continue to plan until I have a better idea on the price of the flights. Thanks in advance. Jen

Kim Nov 12th, 1998 11:13 AM

Jen: <BR> <BR>Good luck finding low air fare to SA! The lowest price I can find out of the US to Cape Town, SA, is $1550. That's at the end of their summer, but off season. Maybe a tour would be alot lower? I don't know as I'm traveling alone. Anyway, best of luck in your search. <BR>

Noelle Nov 24th, 1998 04:30 AM

Hi Jen <BR> <BR>I think you must look for airfares that are not direct to Africa from North America. If you are prepared to fly to Europe first and then to South Africa it should be a lot cheaper. South African Airways are currently running specials from London to SA have a look at their web site (www.saa.co.za). <BR> <BR>Do you specifically want to take a tour, if so what sort of age group do you fit into and how long do you want to tour for. There are loads of low budget travel safaris that go around the whole of Southern Africa but you have to take you turn on the cooking roster and help pitch the camp every night. <BR> <BR>Otherwise, hire a car and stay in guest houses - advertise for a travel companion to share expenses. Be careful of companies that target overseas tourists because they will be more expensive as most tourist want to stay at luxury game lodges and five star hotels but there are lots of other options and you will get a lot for your Canadian dollar here. By the way the sun always shines in South Africa but I think that January to April is a great time to be here. <BR> <BR>Hope to hear from you soon so that we can get you mobile. <BR> <BR>Regards Noelle <BR>

Peter Dec 22nd, 1998 11:43 AM

Hi Jen <BR> <BR>Fly to london and from london to Johannesburg there are a lot of bucket shops in london selling cheep tickets to Johannesburg. <BR> <BR>If you make it pop in and have a beer we run a Backpackers and travel centre in Jo-burg <BR> <BR>www.explor.co.za

corinna Mar 23rd, 1999 01:51 AM

Hi Jen <BR> <BR>South Africa seems to be quite an expensive destination for travellors nowadays, but try making your bookings through a local tour operator to save costs and get up to date advice on specials etc. <BR> <BR>For more info contact us via our website: www.outlookafrica.co.za <BR> <BR>Look forward to hearing from you <BR> <BR>Kind regards <BR>Corinna