Reload this Page >

Tour Operator Selection (Help!)

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 20th, 1999, 09:53 AM
MLM

Hello Everyone--- <BR>Our group is planning a customized trip to Tanzania, Kenya and Zanzibar in August 1999. We are on a budget of sorts so tour operators like A & K are not an option. Of course, that is relative considering Africa is going to be expensive no matter what tour operators you use. We have somewhat narrowed our field of search and have received competitive quotes from these tour operators. My question is the quality of service and reputation--any <BR>thoughts? <BR> <BR>1) African Travel Centre out of the U.K. <BR>2) Safariline out of Chicago (division of Traveline in Ohio) <BR>3) Gane and Marshall out of the U.K. <BR>4) Okavango Tours <BR>5) Hoopoe Travel out of the U.K. <BR> <BR>I've been reading the message board and Somak Safaris and Thomson Safaris have been highly recommended so we are considering these two also. Also, the Great Britain operators are tending to be less expensive than U.S. tour operators. We are out of the Midwest so it's kind of scary to book something overseas. Anyone with any expenience on this? Any help would be appreciated! <BR> <BR>MLM <BR>

Old Feb 26th, 1999, 08:17 AM
S. West

We took a trip in October with Micato Tours and felt they were great. It is a local company, however they have US office in New York. It is a family business and they specialize in small groups (our was only 8). Very well organized.

Old Mar 8th, 1999, 07:30 AM
BLY

I'm very excited to be doing a similar trip in a couple weeks. We are going through Hoopoe Adv. Tours. As we have special circumstances and had to leave from Mombasa, we were limited on # of tour ops that would qt us a trip. Hoopoe has been very helpful in not only accommodating us, but answering our stupid questions. If you can hold off, I'll let you know how the trip went in early April. Referring to the prev. msg: some of the group is going thru Micato and they too have had success in organizing their trip. <BR>

Old Mar 24th, 1999, 02:25 PM
Adrian

Hello Everyone--- <BR> <BR>I need some info. I'm planning a safari to Tanzania in Sept. and I need to know any recommendations on tour operators that will be able to accomidate me, as I will fly into Kilimenjaro airport near Arusha. Does anyone know if September is a bad time of the year to go on safari??? <BR> <BR>I would like to embark on 6 - 7 day safari. Any pricing information, as well as tour operators that could arrange a safari to the Serengeti and Ngorongoro would be greatly appreciated. <BR> <BR>Also, if anyone is kind enough, I need a list of recommended vacines before traveling to Tanzania. <BR> <BR>Thanx-All <BR> <BR>Adrian

Old May 21st, 1999, 09:22 AM
skoelle

I am going to Tanzania in June with Thompson Safaris. I had to get shots for Hepatits A, Yellow Fever, Typhoid Fever and Tetanus. Plus the malaria preventative. You need to get your shots early because a couple of them take a couple of weeks to take effect. And you may have to take your malaria preventative for a couple of weeks before you go over. <BR>

Old May 29th, 1999, 09:32 AM
Al

Another tip. Don't get a physical exam on your return for at least six months. The anti-malarial tablets will give false readings on your liver functions. Unless you tell your physician that you have been taking Larium or similar drugs, he will become alarmed at what his blood scores tell him. Been there, done that.

Old May 30th, 1999, 11:45 AM
April

Adrian: <BR>I'm not sure what you mean by "a bad time to go on safari". I went in September/October and it was fine - mostly hot, a day of rain...but it can also get cold in places such as the top of the Ngorongoro. <BR>

Old Jun 29th, 1999, 07:15 AM
m.montesa

To MLM and Adrian, <BR>If you haven't booked yet with anyone, we just got back from Tanzania and used two local operators who provided great service. Bobbytours handles trips to the North (Ngorongoro, Serengeti, Manyara) and Coastal Tours took care of our southern circuit arrangements. We told them where,when and for how long we wanted to be at a particular place and they made all the arrangements. They both take credit cards and have web pages you can check out.