infor on Kilimanjaro

Jan 20th, 2000, 06:46 AM
bamjlb

infor on Kilimanjaro

Planing to hike Kilimanjaro in Sept and would love to hear from others who have done it. Especially appreciate any recomendations on tour comoanys to use. Any info would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance

May 14th, 2000, 02:20 AM
Michelle

Have only just discovered this forum and saw your message. I trekked to top of Kilimanjaro in December 4 years ago. What do you want to know?

Jul 11th, 2000, 08:16 AM
Kelly

I am climbing Mt. Kilo in 2 1/2 weeks and would like to know how difficult the climb really is and how I can prepare physically for the climb.

Jul 12th, 2000, 12:11 AM
Michelle

Hi Kelly: I went with some friends in December (4 years ago). Age range mid-30's to late 50's. Fitness ranged from a few aerobic classes per week to super fit (iron man contestants). While being fit helped, it was mainly the individual's reaction to altitude that decided whether this trek was fun or not. Of my group of pals (4 women/12 men) only one was forced to turn back (major altitude problems). All the rest achieved Gilman's Point and 4/5 went around crater and reached highest point in Africa (Uhulu-sp?). I have to say we trekked the last two days in pretty heavy snow falls and the guides did not want us to go beyond Gilmans, it was kind tiring. The trekking, however, didn't faze any of us but the altitude got to us all one way or another and to vastly different degrees. Ginger is a good remedy, take a root with you. The different terrains are amazing and you tend to move quite slowly so that your body can adjust to altitude and, of course, as you get higher there's less oxygen so you automatically slow down. Last day you start trek at midnight as the scree is frozen and therefore easier to walk on. You'll love it - particularly when you're on your way down!!

Search this Thread