info on SA

Mar 23rd, 2006, 12:30 PM
Original Poster

info on SA

Looking for feedback and inform
I have a trip planned for mid-oct to SA. I am very excited about it I have been scrolling thru and I am sure I can benefit from everyones experiences. I have traveled thru Asia and this w/b my first time to Africa. So her goes with the laundry list of questions.

I w/b visiting Cape Town ,Durban,Joberg with addl stops along the way but those are the major cities. I wil also be visiting Kruger,Hluhluwe game Reserve after that w/b visiting Victotia Falls and a day visit to Chobe in Bostwana.

Do I have to worry about those nasty malaria pills where I am heading? or am I in the malaria free zones?. What can I expect weather wise day and night in these cities and parks ? What game can I expect to see in these parks? I know the animals migrate in different season will I be too late in Oct in these parks? Any suggestions on where to eat in the cities I w/b visiting money isnt a consideration I am on vacation!!!
Thanks in advance for all the help
Mar 23rd, 2006, 12:47 PM
sandi

Malaria meds -
No for Capetown, Durban or Joburg. Yes, for Kruger, Vic Falls and Chobe. So you'll have to take something.

There are plenty of threads on this board with such information or check the www.cdc.gov/travel website for details. A search will find these for you. But, of course, discuss these meds and inoculations with your own physician.

Mar 23rd, 2006, 02:36 PM

October weather is going to start being hot and dry in the cape and as you progress north and east the cliamte become temerate, which will mean hotter and humid with the chances of late afternoon thunderstorms.

There is no migration out of the parks that you are visiting, so you will not miss the game. The species thaht you will see in the umfoloxi-hluhluwe complex are much the same as those that you will see in the southern Kruger. Typically general species such as: impala, kudu, bushbuck, nyala, wildebeest, zebra & giraffe will be most frequently seen. You should also a variety of pachyderms, both black and whito rhino and of course the elephant, chances are good that around the rivers you'll find hippo in small pods.

You can see a mixed bag of predators such as lion, leopard, hyena & wild dog & cheetah the former three are most frequently seen in the evening to night hours, so be sure to find a place where you can do a night drive.

There are a couple of other species that I have left out, but thats about the ball park.

Best place to in the cities are restaurants........
name your poison and I am sure the "fodors gang" will chime in with their best dinning experiences etc.

Search this Thread