Info on Nights in the Desert, etc

Jun 8th, 1999, 05:20 PM
Rusty

Info on Nights in the Desert, etc

I'm planning a trip to Spain and Portugal next summer and want to go to Morocco for a few days, taking the ferry from Gibralter to Tangier. I would like to go to Fez and Marrakesh, (after reading all the posts on this site, I'm hyped up about it!) Is the train fare reasonable from Tangier to Marrakesh and/or Fez. How do I find out about going into the Desert overnight, riding the camels, etc... Any additional info is helpful. Hopefully it will be next summer, if not around December, any comments on the weather, what clothes to wear, take, what not to take. Thanks in advance, feel free to e-mail me if you please

Jun 11th, 1999, 08:49 AM
elvira

We took the overnight train (couchettes) from Tangier to Marrakesh. I think we paid about $30 each. Very cheap, the only other passenger was an Asian guy in his own compartment. The Moroccans just sat up all night in seats. The country is 2nd world slipping toward the 3rd, and $30 is a great deal of money. The trains are old SNCF trains, in excellent repair but obviously from the 60's. We did Casa>Rabat>Meknes>Fez>Tangier<>Chefchaouen>Marrake sh. Fares are very VERY cheap. We had a wonderful experience sitting in a compartment with a Berber mother and her 3 year old daughter (who was just enthralled with our blonde hair and blue eyes). Tangier is ho-hum; we stayed at the Hotel El Djenina on 8, rue el antaki. All redone, beautiful hotel. Double room was $20. They were just doing over the restaurant when we were there. English speaking. Very nice restaurant down the street.
Fez's medina is pretty intense; we hired a guide through the hotel, and were very glad we did. The man was a wealth of information, took us up to the promontories overlooking the city, wound us through the medina (took us into the medina's bread baker - the residents bring him their dough and he bakes it in a giant wood oven. And you thought your job stunk). We stayed at the Hotel Mounia.
In Marrakech we stayed at the Ibn Batouta and did the camel thing from there. We used http://www.imilchil-travel.com/ for the arrangements. We had a great time; quite an adventure! (We're not outdoorsy types - there's no thrill in shooting the rapids or skydiving, just sheer panic - so getting us on camels and out into the desert constitutes enough adventure for us).
Two middle-aged white women, and we loved the country. The hustling at times got irritating, but it's part of the culture and we just brushed it off. We did everything by ourselves until the camel trip, and had no trepidat

Jan 25th, 2000, 11:47 AM
elvira

We are planning a trip to Morocco in Apr-May and have just sent our itinerary to the travel agency Imilchil (that you mentioned in your message) to see if they could help us with any of our arrangements. They responded with a customized tour for us at a very reasonable price. We are interested in knowing what other people's experience has been with this agency, so if you could let me know how you liked dealing with them, I would appreciate it. Thanks, Bill

Jan 25th, 2000, 12:25 PM
Bill

I seem to have put the wrong info in my message. Here is my name and e-mail address. Sorry.

Search this Thread