Reload this Page >

Kenya-Possible Political Unrest?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 22nd, 2002, 05:25 AM
chris

I will be flying into Nairobi just before Christmas. I know that President Moi is supposed to be stepping down and that there is potential politcal unrest that may develop if the ruling Kanu party decides to postpone elections. I am only mildly concerned how this will affect me since I am flying out of Wilson to Tanzania the same day I arrive (only 6 hours in Kenya). But I was wondering if anyone had given this some thought? And what day exactly is the election?

Old Oct 22nd, 2002, 05:39 PM
anon

on a completely separate issue, Chris, do you own a B&B in or near the Riviera?

Old Oct 26th, 2002, 04:39 AM
dcp

I just got back from a 2 wk trip to Kenya and would not worry since you'll only be in the airport. However, I would encourage caution for those spending any amount of time in Kenya in and around election time. I know several people who are specifically leaving the country during elections and will wait to return depending on what happens. As with all third world type countries, that could be nothing or everything?

Old Oct 26th, 2002, 06:19 AM
charlene

help! we are going 22 - 29 Dec - when are the elections scheduled? Heard a rumor they might be delayed until Jan - and if so, will that cause problems?

Old Oct 26th, 2002, 08:09 AM
chris

I saw a news report yesterday stating that President Moi had dissolved Parliament and that is supposed to mean elections should be helf within 90 days (in December by all news accounts). Let's just hope both sides will allow a truly democratic election to take place for Kenyan's sake and that reform will truly come for this lovely country and it's many honest people. <BR><BR>read more http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/africa/2360137.stm<BR>http://www.nationaudio.com/News/DailyNation/Today/<BR>http://www.nationaudio.com/News/EastAfrican/current/index.html<BR><BR>and anon to satisfy your curiosity, no I do not own a B&amp;B.<BR>

Old Nov 1st, 2002, 03:06 PM
Jan Goss

Just finished reading the Daily Nation on the web and they state the elections will be on December 27th.<BR><BR>Jan

Old Nov 30th, 2002, 08:09 AM
Sue & Steve

We were in Kenya during the elections five years ago.<BR>Houses were burned down in Ukunda and near the Likoni ferry but the troubles were all tribal and were not directed at tourists.<BR>The tourist hotels were nearly empty because of people cancelling as they were worried.<BR>Malindi in particular was very badly affected as the Italian authorities asked any Italians visiting the town to sign a disclaimer at the airport that they ewere travelling at their own risk. Many did not travel.<BR>In late September all we saw as touurists were posters for the two main contenders. The locals in the bars were clearly having arguments about who they thought should win but that did not affect us. <BR>During the last elections we had a great time a there were so few tourists we were treated like royalty.<BR>Go, and enjoy.