inexpensive safari with 2 teens

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 30th, 2006, 12:29 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are hoping to find a way to do a safari for my family before my second daughter leaves for college. My husband is a firefighter, so budget will be tight. We don't mind camping but my husband had a bad knee so can't easily climb in and out of tents on the ground-years of lifting stretchers! We will be going in June-probably not until 2008 and would like a mix of day and night drives, some walking and some canoeing. We would also like a mix of wild life viewing, scenery and culture. We are happy to pitch in around camp but would like to avoid traveling with a large group in buses. I would love any suggestions of safari consultants, outfitters, agencies, etc to get started putting together a trip.
Old Jul 31st, 2006, 05:16 AM

2008 is a little far away to book, but now is a good time to research.

Do a search for operators/outfitters such as Roy Safari, Sunny Safari, Good Earth Safari, etc.

Look at their webpages and get a feel for what they have to offer and make up an itinerary you would like to have quoted. You will probably get 2006 pricing and at best 2007 pricing. This will give you an idea of what to budget for your safari.

I have read that a cheap camping safari would run about $100-120 per day. Budget lodges a little more.

But remember that the search function is your friend.....

Good luck and post your questions, etc. and you will plenty of help.
Old Jul 31st, 2006, 06:32 AM

Take a look through the trip report index - there are quite a few people who have done budget trips!

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=34725679
Old Jul 31st, 2006, 07:21 AM

Hello mmdwalsh,
Unfortunately there are no inexpensive safaris and I’m afraid it will be even worse in 2008. “Budget” camping sleeping in cots instead of mattresses on the ground would be best for your husband’s knee. Two Kenyan companies that people on the Thorn Tree forum are happy to go camping with are Nairobi Backpackers http://www.nairobibackpackers.com/html/aadventures.html
and Gametrackers http://www.gametrackersafaris.com/

Old Jul 31st, 2006, 07:59 AM

For game drives, bush walks and canoeing look at Mana Pools.
There are a few operators(Cameron Harvey for ex.) that can provide something there to fit the bill, or you can drive in and stay in the rustic inexpensive park lodges and use the park staff and canoes for even less.

www.zimparks.com/html/manapools.html

Then transfer or drive up to South Luangwa NP for more bush walks, day and nite game drives.

A couple places that have inexpensive accomodations are Wildlfe Camp, Track and Trail River Camp and Flatdogs. They all have the activities in the park you want.And if you drive into SLNP, you can self cater much as you could do in Mana Pools.

If you wanted to see more, and spend more time on your trip, there are other destinations to continue on to in this train of thought.
Old Aug 5th, 2006, 05:50 AM

Hi mmdwalsh -
We are going to Kruger with our daughter and her 19 and 15 year old children. We leave on August 14 and are using a Canadian co. called Lion World Tours (www.lionworldtravel.com) We have worked with Terri and the price is very good. Staying at kid friendly lodges (Jackalberry Lodge,Ngala Game Lodge, and Zuleika Country Lodge). Hoping it will be as wonderful as it sounds. Good luck!
Old Aug 5th, 2006, 07:48 AM

I think South Africa would fit your requirements perfectly.

There are lots of budget-friendly options for safaris there - it would be fun and easy to do a self-drive safari in Kruger national park, staying at various rest camps (see http://www.sanparks.org/parks/kruger/). Most of the camps offer day and night drives and have comfortable (if not luxurious) self-catering accommodation, and usually a camp restaurant, bar, shop and sometimes a pool. Some camps also offer guided walks.

You could then drive from Kruger to Swaziland for some culture (for instance, you could visit traditional villages, craft markets). For excellent value accommodation check out Phophonyane Lodge (http://www.phophonyane.co.sz/) - spacious, comfortable self-catering accommodation in an incredible setting, with a great restaurant, gardens, forest walks, waterfalls and natural pools and a large infinity pool. Game viewing is also possible in Swaziland, I believe.

You could then drive back down into South Africa and visit the Kwazulu Natal coast where you'd be able to canoe, snorkel, view more wildlife (e.g. St Lucia, Hluhluwe, Kosi Bay)...

We did something very similar in 2003 and, although there were only two of us (no children), all the places we stayed at were affordable (Kosi bay was a bit more expensive but not excessive) and would have been suitable for teens (the whole trip cost about 4000 euros including food, car hire and flights from the UK). We hired a car in Jo'Burg and drove from there to Kruger (stopping at Blyde River Canyon), then down through the Kruger park to Swaziland, down to Kosi Bay and back to Jo'Burg. We organised the whole thing ourselves using info mainly gleaned from this board. My trip report is here: http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=34402223