Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Africa & the Middle East (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/)
-   -   Indoor Israel activities (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/indoor-israel-activities-771310/)

RTWGirl Oct 31st, 2005 02:44 PM

Indoor Israel activities

Does anyone have suggestions for cool indoor activties for three twenty-somethings in Israel for a week? We have some fun trips planned for the time we're there, but would like to have some rainy weather alternatives. I've heard there are great museums, but I'm not sure which ones to see, and my two companions would kill me if I made them go to musuems every day for a week! Thanks,

AlexA Nov 2nd, 2005 07:59 AM

Though I'm a real museum hound, Isarel is one place when I do spend most of my time outdoors. I'm usually indoors just to eat and sleep!
When are you planning on going? In what cities will you be? Are you planning on taking public transportation, having a car for out of town trips? With more information, Maybe we can make some suggestions

RTWGirl Nov 3rd, 2005 08:14 AM

Hey AlexA,
I am staying with family in Rihovot, but we will have a car. So far, we plan to go to Massadah, Elat, Dead Sea, Jerusalem, and spend some time in Tel Aviv. My brother and I have been to all these places already, but my husband hasn't, so we're very excited to show these places off, but we're also trying to have a contigency plan in case it is just miserable and rainy the whole time. I've never been there this time of year, so I'm just not sure what to expect. I'd love to hear more of your thoughts on this. Thanks.

sandi Nov 3rd, 2005 09:34 AM

RTW -

You still don't mention time of year that you're concerned about poor weather.

If you're considering the winter months of Dec - Mar, it's not usual for it to be rather cool (sometimes downright cold, even snow) in JER due to it's higher altitude. We were told to bring warm clothing, rain gear (including boots [the latter, we didn't]) though thankfully also had sufficient lightweight wear. As it happened, we lucked-out with beautiful weather in January - the daytime temps were in the mid-to-hi 70s, but the evening were cool. Jackets and sweaters were needed. It was only on our last day that it was cloudy and really felt wintery! That was the day we spent doing some museums in Jerusalem, including the Dome of the Book. Both the National Museum and Dome are in the same place.

Doubt you'll have rain in Eilat, rather it will be hot and sunny. Weather along the Dead Sea and Massada should also be nice, as will be TLV.

There are lots of museums in Israel. Why not stop into a bookstore and check out one of the guidebooks for a list and details; then decide where you wish to visit.

Gardyloo Nov 3rd, 2005 10:32 AM

The Israel Museum in Jerusalem is wonderful, and of course Yad Vashem is a must-go. The Disapora Museum in TA is also excellent. Oh, and don't forget to see the Chagall windows at the Hadassah hospital in Jerusalem. Every time we've gone there it's rained that day. Something I said?

Of course there are also shopping malls and movies and the usual big-city things in the...duh... big cities. Going to the movies in Israel is a hoot.