Indian Restaurant in cairo

Old Dec 26th, 2009, 01:57 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Indian Restaurant in cairo

I am travelling to egypt in 2 days. Can anyone suggest Indian restaurant in cairo please. Thanks.
Old Dec 26th, 2009, 02:36 PM

It's been years since I was in Cairo, but the Indian restaurant in the Mena House hotel was excellent back in 2002.
Old Dec 26th, 2009, 02:42 PM

I've also head that the Moghul Room (at the Mena House) is great, although I've not been there yet.
Old Dec 26th, 2009, 02:42 PM
Original Poster

Thanks ShayTay for the quick reply. I will look for Mena house. since we are strict vegetarians not sure whether we can find Indian vegetarian food for our 10 day tour.
Old Dec 26th, 2009, 10:20 PM

The Mena House is good, but too far away from anything but the pyramids and about 3 times more expensive than you need to pay.

It all depends on where you are staying, but if you can get to Heliopolis, the best place - very good food at a very good price is at the Karvin Hotel. Complete (and I mean COMPLETE) meal with a beer will be maybe LE100. That is the best choice.

Other choices are the Indian at the Grand Hyatt - ground Floor

I can't remember the names of them all, but there is another totally respectable one in Sphinx Square in Mohandiseen. Another in Maadi - this is probably one of the oldest ones. And that one too was going to be opening another in Mohandiseen about a year ago, so you can see there are PLENTY and you don't have to go clear to the Mogul Room and pay too much if you aren't already staying there. If you are staying at the Mena House or even at any Giza area hotel, then the Mogul Room is probably your best bet.
Old Dec 26th, 2009, 10:22 PM

I should say gotoforest, that if the location of any of them I mentioned sound like it would be more convenient for you, tell me which one and I'll get the name and phone number or address for you so you can visit it.
Old Dec 27th, 2009, 07:00 AM

If my mind is working properly - the one in Maadi is Bukhara.
Old Dec 27th, 2009, 07:12 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Casual_Cairo. We are staying at "The Oasis hotel in Alex Desert Road, PO Box 44, Pyramids : Cairo 12556 : EGYPT" Now can you recommend some indian Rest and or Vegan Restaurant near by here. Any help in this matter is greatly appreciated.
Old Dec 27th, 2009, 10:58 PM

Sorry gotoforest - The only one remotely close to you is the Mena House. Your hotel is actually quite a ways out past the Mena House.
You'll have to come into town to find the others.
The good news is you are Vegan, you say.... so ANY restaurant should be able to accommodate you, ONCE you get yourselves set up through your guide or any Egyptian that speaks English perfectly - that can write you a note to carry with you that you need only the same foods that the Christians eat when they are on their Easter fast. They are not allowed any thing that you don't allow themselves and all restaurants have some items that they can sell to the Christians during this time. If you were here right now it wouldn't be to bad as the Christians are all fasting now until Jan 7 arrives, for their Christmas...the only difference is that they are allowed fish on this fast.
If you can change your hotel to one more centrally located in town, you'll have many more choices though.
Old Dec 27th, 2009, 11:00 PM

Boy did I mess that up - hope you understand it.
I meant they don't allow themselves anything you don't allow yourself.
Just have your guide write you something (in Arabic) that you can show all waiters that says you are on the same diet as the Christians Fasting Diet consists of.
Old Dec 28th, 2009, 05:10 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Casual_Cairo for the tips.