Search

India isn't Africa!

Search this Thread

Old May 4th, 2006, 11:41 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
India isn't Africa!

OK, I know I'm stating the obvious - why couldn't my company have opened an operation in Africa instead of India.

Anyway we're having a great time over here, but the Africa withdrawal symptoms are definitely setting in even though we're doing lots of travel around India and even getting to some of the wildlife parks - it's just not the same.

Rocco posted a link to an operator I hadn't come across before - Game Trails Botswana. We've been thinking of doing a camping safari for a while and this sounds ideal ....... except for the number of guests on each tour (up to 9).Does anyone have any experience of this outfit and any views on what the chances are of the tours being full?

Old May 5th, 2006, 01:46 AM

Hi Ruthie,

As a tour operator opened up with Game Trails Botswana, I get occasional updates and it does seem like they are very successful at filling up their departures. It is a great value but the tradeoff, as you mentioned, is the amount of people.

Although it is not Botswana, I think another option that may be attractive is the 10 night North Luangwa/South Luangwa package offered by Kafunta:

http://www.luangwa.com/rates.htm

Rack rates for this safari are a mere $263 per person sharing for a high season safari (no low season safaris to North Luangwa). Given that you pick your own departure dates, I believe chances are excellent that you would enjoy a PRIVATE safari to Kafunta Island Bush Camp and to North Luangwa.

Of course, this itinerary only works out if you are comfortable doing a combination of walking safaris and game drives.

Another option is to wait until December and then you can get a great priced Kwando package to Botswana, for less than half of a high season Botswana safari. While early to mid November is booked up at Kwando, late November to December looks wide open. Kwando is VERY affordable in December.
Old May 5th, 2006, 03:27 AM

RuthieC
I am using Game Trails for a 10 day mobile trip in Botswana this August. It's the only way I can afford Botswana and I actually prefer the more rustic accomodations. My priorities are wildlife, a comfortable bed, wildlife, a convenient bathroom,and wildlife,wildlife,wildlife.
I believe Sundowner,a frequent contributor to this forum, used Game Trails for a safari last year.
I'll be sure to post a trip report.
Lily
Old May 5th, 2006, 05:44 AM

Of course it's not the same.

Can't understand why you are all so fixated on animals. Can't you appreciate, Ruthie, that you are in a country with tons to offer in the non-animal line.

Yes - I love Africa too - spent many, many months there. But there is more to it than safari camps, etc, and that somehow never seems to come across on this board.

And now you are whingeing about being in India - for heaven's sake.

Old May 5th, 2006, 06:57 AM
Original Poster

Oh fuzzylogic, don't be so critical. I love India otherwise I would never have agreed to move here. It's a fascinating place and we are travelling somewhere different almost every weekend to see as much as possible. The sad thing is that although India has many National Parks, the state of the guiding and the management of the parks leaves a lot to be desired.

But I love Africa and I love wildlife and none of the other places I've ever travelled to move me in the way that places like Ruaha, S Luangwa, Serengeti etc do and I shall always yearn to be in one of these places, wherever in the world I might be.
Old May 5th, 2006, 07:39 AM

Received 17 Likes on 1 Post
Hi Ruthie - lucky you to be planning a trip to Africa from India!

I used Game Trails and had a great trip. Trip report and pictures are here http://www.pbase.com/cjw/image/51334626
(scroll down below the picture for the report).

Another mobile safari outfit was used by Mike59. It is Masson Safaris and Mike's trip report is here
http://www.fodors.com/forums/pgMessa...amp;searchText

In Feb 2006 I did get a price from Masson Safaris for a private safari for a couple or solo traveler and this is what they said:
We do a lot of private Safaris for couples and even single professional
photographers. The price will be in the region of US$ 310.00 per person,
per day if there are 2 of you on a tailor-made Safari. The final cost will
depend on the number of days and the distance traveled in the Itinerary.

This price includes:
A fully mobile camp as described in our website www.masson-safaris.com.
Professional Guide and Safari Vehicle.
All excursions as described in the Itinerary.
All Meals and Snacks.
Camp Staff and Chef.
Limited soft drinks, beer and wine.
All Park Fees and Camping Fees.
All Government Taxes, including 10% vat.

Out-of-pocket expense will be for things of a personal nature, curios,
travel insurance, flights and staff gratuities.

Good luck with your trip planning!
Old May 5th, 2006, 09:33 AM

RuthieC
Where in India are you based? Are you going to do the wildlife safari circuit whilst you're there?
It won't compare to Africa; the Indian wildlife parks are not half as well managed, the guides aren't as good and accommodation isn't so charming but would be a shame not to do it whilst you're there?
Old May 5th, 2006, 02:08 PM

I have no idea where in India you are but if you go to Rajhastan you may forget about Africa for a while ! !
Old May 5th, 2006, 08:38 PM
Original Poster

Hi Sundowner, thanks for the links and the amazing photos. It's given me a good feel for what sort of trip this could be - a little rougher than we are used to, but much closer to the bush. Certainly will think about it seriously now.

Kavey, we're actually living in Gurgaon and will probably be here for another 9-12 months. We will definitely visit some of the parks, in fact we've been to 2 bird sanctuaries alread - Sultanpur and Bharatpur. Most of the parks are closed over the summer and in any case will be too hot for us poor Brits to cope with. But come October / November we'll definitely be visiting some of them - Kaziranga is at the top of my list along with Bandhavgarh and Kanha.

Galiano, Of all the places we have visited in India both on previous trips and so far this year, Rajasthan remains my favourite state and we will continue to take trips there during the autumn and winter period. Amazingly, we haven't actually been to Jodhpur or Jaisalmer on any previous trip so they are the priority once the weather cools a bit (41C at the moment in Gurgaon and even hotter in the desert!)

Sorry to have hijacked the Africa board talking about India; on with the safari dreaming and planning.
Old May 5th, 2006, 09:20 PM
santharamhari

Ruthie,

Welcome to India.......no place like the South!!! Friendly, more relaxed and yes, much much cleaner!!!

I agree with you, the wildlife circuit and game parks are nothing compared to those in Africa......also, take into account that, most of the African countries we are used to is very much dependant on tourism and markets it's game parks with total professionalism...that isnt the case here in India, where the economy etc etc is very very different. Not trying to make excuses, but, just stating the facts.

Noted, you are planning a trip to Botswana and that's my absolute favourite destination. Next trip is in August........can't wait......

Hari

Old May 7th, 2006, 01:34 AM

Ruthie I have a number of family members in Gurgaon...
Old May 7th, 2006, 02:13 AM
Original Poster

Hi Kavey,

What a coincidence. If you're coming over any time in the next 12 months, let me know and we can definitely arrange to meet up. My email is [email protected]
Old May 7th, 2006, 08:35 AM

Plan is to come in October for cousin's wedding but I think we'll be going straight to Roorkee for wedding and for once, not spending time in Delhi and Gurgaon but if stop in Delhi would LOVE to meet...
Old May 7th, 2006, 05:47 PM
santharamhari

Ruthie/Kavey,

If you guys are ever in South India....look me up!!!

also, my email [email protected]

Hari