independent travel to turkey

Sep 12th, 1998, 03:14 PM
Wagner Schwan

independent travel to turkey

I'm planning a independent travel to turkey by bus. But I'm afraid of loose some interesting details of the place because the language. Will I find easily any person to give me information/details/tourist information in english, spanish or portuguese?

Sep 13th, 1998, 11:03 AM
Martha

Wagner-- Last spring, we spent six, wonderful weeks in Turkey, traveling independently. Many, many Turks speak English, especially if they are in jobs where they meet tourists. The second most common foreign language is German. I don't think too many Turks speak Spanish or Portuguese.
You can get a lot of information about Turkey through guide books. The Blue Guide series has enough details for anybody! If you really want to be up on interesting details of the country, start reading everything you can about Turkey now (if you haven't already.) You'll be able to understand what you learn in Turkey better if you have some background.
Once you get to Turkey, there are tourist offices in most Turkish cities, with literature printed in English. At major attractions like Ephesus, there are special guidebooks for the site available in many languages-- always including English. Plus, ordinary Turkish citizens are often eager to talk about their country, and to practice their English. Of course, a few of them really want to get you into their carpet shops, but that's part of the experience. If you don't want to buy a carpet, smile, thank them, and walk out. You may also get asked to drink tea with shop owners. This usually isn't a scam; it's traditional, Turkish hospitality.
My husband found when traveling alone on Turkish buses that Turkish men were very friendly and interested in talking to him. He learned a few, polite phrases in Turkish, carried a Turkish-English dictionary and phrasebook, and had some great conversations.
I can only hope that you enjoy Turkey as much as we did. Martha

Search this Thread