Independent travel in Israel, Egypt and Jordan

Aug 11th, 2000, 11:34 AM
Phyllis

Independent travel in Israel, Egypt and Jordan

Four of us are planning a trip to the middle east next May. We are extremely seasoned independent travelers. We do wish to have tours of the various cities and sites but prefer to spend much of our time snooping about on our own. We are willing to rent a car and drive/and or make our own transportation arrangements. Is this doable?

Aug 14th, 2000, 05:40 AM
kiersten

It is very "doable" on your own according to my research.(we are going in Sept) I would recommend Israel and Jordan on your own. In Egypt, having a private car and guide will disuade others from pestering you on the street to be your guide etc.(also can get guaranteed entrance to many sites) This is how we are doing our trip...

Aug 14th, 2000, 09:11 AM
Judy

Phyllis,
I haven't been to Jordan or Egypt, so can't speak about them. Israel is certainly doable on your own. We've rented a car on two of our trips and had a wonderful time. The roads generally are good and signs are in English. Both times we rented from Avis (with a double upgrade and using Mastercard to avoid CDW) and were very satisfied. Having a car allows you to get to out of the way places. We especially enjoyed driving around the Galilee and Golan. It's best not to have a car in the big cities (e.g, Jerusalem and Tel Aviv). We rented the car at the airport for a week and then returned it in Jerusalem (or vice versa). By the way, I believe that cars rented in Israel can not go into Jordan. Have fun!!!

Search this Thread