independent safari

Mar 2nd, 2002, 06:32 PM
cwill

independent safari

Would like to know if anyone has done an independent safari- that is purchase the trip upon arrival in Nairobi. The quide books list several reputable co. I am traveling solo and tour co. from the states charge a large single supp. Might I do a little better having more bargining power in Nairobi? thanks for info.

Mar 3rd, 2002, 09:41 AM
Jan Goss

cwill:

I don't know if you would do better financially or not, but I have used a Kenyan company, Southern Cross Safaris, on two separate occasions and they will create any type of trip you wish. I too traveled alone on both my safaris, and they arranged everything I requested including private car and driver for five days in Tsavo East and 2 days in Shimba Hills and the total cost for everything in Africa was about $3,400.00. This included the Nairobi hotels, flights from Nairobi-Amboseli and Nairobi-Mombasa. I stayed at Ol Tukai Lodge in Amboseli, Voi Lodge, Satao Camp, Shimba Hills Lodge, Tamarind Village, and in Nairobi the Serena in 2001 and Nairobi Safari Club in 2002. They are a very reputable agency that Daphpne Sheldrick, who raises the orphaned elephants and rhinos, steered me to. If you wish addition info you can look up their website or E-mail [email protected]. I can gurantee you they will take excellent care of you.

You will need to obtain your own air from US to Kenya. I flew from Boston for 1,085.00 in January. Have your travel agent here book two separate round trip tickets (US - Amsterdam and Amsterdam - Nairobi). It will be considerably cheaper than computer-listed fares.

The only other expense would be your spending money for water, tonics, tips, souvenirs, etc.

Good luck. I know you will have a fantastic trip.

Jan

Mar 15th, 2002, 11:37 AM
chris

I used a tour company last year in Kenya called Express Travel. I found them to be very good and the tour was high quality. Actually my wife and I were alone on the 8 day tour - only the driver/guide and us at the same price! They have a website www.etg-safaris.com

Search this Thread