Independent backpacking in Iran

Jan 6th, 2016, 07:14 PM
Original Poster

Independent backpacking in Iran

Hi there,

1) This is a question for those who have travelled without a tour groups or in their own car--are bus and train tickets easy to come by a day before departure? Anything that I should book in advance?

2) Any regrets with independent traveling? More in terms of less easy access to some great destinations.

3) My itinerary will closely mimic that of G Adventures' 14-day tour but with an extra day or two to spare. I.e. Tehran -> Yazd -> Kerman -> Shiraz/Persepolis -> Abyaneh -> Isfahan -> Tehran. Any suggestions in terms of alterations to this? Main interests are culture, architecture and history.

4) Also, if anyone has been on the G Adventures tour, what is your take on it? I've never traveled in a tour group before, and the price seems to be triple that of what I can do by myself. My other reservation is that I would continue to experience the country largely through the eyes of fellow Westerners when traveling in the group...?

5) For those who have been recently, with all the talk about sanctions being lifted etc, are credit cards still a no go for every day travel things e.g. tickets, accommodation?

Thank you!
Jan 6th, 2016, 08:57 PM

What's your nationality? Visas are hard to come by for US and UK citizens, and I believe US citizens still need to be with a tour guide.
Jan 7th, 2016, 10:02 PM
Original Poster

Hi! Yes, US, UK and Canadian citizens need a visa and have to travel with a tour group. I have ths visa side sorted and don't need a tour group, which is why I'd like to soak as much informatio as possible for anyone who has been!

Search this Thread