Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Africa & the Middle East (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/)
-   -   Increase credit limit on credit card or NOT for Africa trip (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/increase-credit-limit-on-credit-card-or-not-for-africa-trip-974184/)

jaydh42 Apr 13th, 2013 03:58 PM

Increase credit limit on credit card or NOT for Africa trip

It just occurred to me WHAT IF we were on safari and something bad happened phtsically where one had to be hospitalized or air lifted out. How does payment for thi8s type of thing work? We, of course took out trip insurance which has an emergency medical component. But that doesn't pay up front. So do we increase credit card amount to cover medical emergency and take it up with insurance when we get home.

sandi Apr 14th, 2013 01:04 PM

You do have to pay medical costs up front, keep receipts and then turn over to the insurer on return for reimbursement.

Unless it's something really really major - heart attack, broken bones, other such - where with contact between the local doc and your insurer will determine the care you need... you will be stabilized and evacuated for proper care; you'd be surprised how inexpensive hospital/doc care is in Africa (and most other countries around the world), compared to living in other than the US.

Just make sure the medical/evac cover on the insurance you've purchased is at least $100K; even a single evac can be over $50K. And be sure to purchase Flying Docs Membership (See: www.amref.org - select membership... about $15/pp) as they are the service that will extract you from the bush to medical care in Nairobi.

jaydh42 Apr 14th, 2013 09:11 PM

Hey Sandi,

Thanks for your thoughts. However, let me ask again whether we should try to get at least 50,000 bucks credit on our credit cards should we need it?

amyb Apr 15th, 2013 05:54 AM

I've got to admit, I'm a thorough trip planner, but this thought never once occurred to me.

That said, my tour operator included a Flying Docs membership for each of us in the trip cost. If you're using a tour operator, check with them first before you buy on your own.

sandi Apr 15th, 2013 11:39 AM

I've never increased credit limits for any trips regardless where traveling. Just leave it up to my trip insurance provider policy to handle.

What would be important, if you do not know the information -

<b>"What is your and your travel partner's (or those in your group), their blood type?"</b>

Just in case a transfusion is required. To me that is something everyone should know wherever you are. Be a good citizen, stop at your local blood bank, donate a pint and have them 'type' it for you and keep the card provided with such information. Then learn what/how each type works and whether useful for others.

jaydh42 Apr 15th, 2013 09:10 PM

Very good point Sandi. Will make sure we know it and have it written down.

dinagattina Apr 16th, 2013 03:53 PM

One thing to definitely do is tell your CC company when and where you are traveling, and tell them not to authorize charges from other countries (in case your card gets stolen or compromised) You can even tell them what you WON'T be spending money on : "I won't be buying any computer equipment or fine jewelry", and they can note that on your card. I say this because my CC was stolen in Brazil, and the thieves immediately started charging expensive jewelry (or faking such charges) on my card. And in another case, charges from a stolen card started coming up from the Dominican Republic (not on my intinerary at all!)