How to do a short "safari"

Old Mar 25th, 2007, 03:09 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How to do a short "safari"

I've been looking into safaris that are two weeks long but really I don't like all the packing and moving and I don't think I'd like that long of a time. I really want to stay at Shompole or similar in Kenya or Tanzinia and spend maybe four days there and then go to the Seychelles or some place. How do I get from Nairobi out to there? Can people w/o a safari company get flights out there? Are there any companies that arrange short visits? I see seven day safaris as the shortest offered but even then they try to move you to three different game reserves. When it be hard just to plan this with a safari company and then figure out a guide and stuff once there (if there are any that will do a short time). Thank you in advance for any information.
Old Mar 25th, 2007, 03:13 PM
Original Poster

Just to correct the above I meant would it be hard to plan it WITHOUT a safari company and then make arrangements once there... Sorry.
Old Mar 25th, 2007, 03:19 PM

Kenya Air flys Tues. and Thurs. from Niarobi to The Seychelles.
Serendipity (google it)can arrange trips to Kenya for the safari portion and your Seychelle trip.
For very thorough info. on Shompole and other lodging check sandi's trip reports under the heading of ?The new east african trip reports?(forget the exact heading - sorry.
Old Mar 25th, 2007, 03:22 PM

It's only been a year since going to the Seychelles and I'm confused. It may be Sun. and Thurs. check Kenya Airs schedule.
Old Mar 25th, 2007, 03:25 PM
Original Poster

We contacted Serendipity last week and they said they would get back to us early this week. Good to know they might do this...some of the other companies we contacted and who already got back to us really didn't seem to do the short safari stint. Thanks!
Old Mar 26th, 2007, 05:20 AM
sandi

roomoo -

When will you be traveling (month.year) and what are your interests? Cats? elephants? birds? time of years and location for specific species will assist your tour operator/planner.

Shompole is lovely, but not for large amounts of game, but the nearby Lake Natron offers wonderful options for seeing flamingoes. You can certainly combine a stay here with the Masai Mara and maybe Samburu before heading off to the Seychelles.

For the Seychelles, realize that you're often limited with the few flights to/from, so often a 5/day or 7/day visit only.

You mention 2/weeks, with only 4/days on safari and if Shompole, that's not really safari; actually Shompole can somewhat be compared with the Seychelles, except little game and no beach. I must say, depending on from where you are traveling, if other than Europe... it's a long way from the States to the Seychelles for a "beach."

If seeking R&R at a beach resort, you can consider Mnemba Island off the coast of Zanzibar, The Palms on Zanzibar or Alfajiri Villas south of Mombasa. Certainly closer, with 1/hr flights to/fr rather than 3/hrs for the Seychelles.

Honestly, I haven't received a recent req for Shompole or the Seychelles (which I don't handle). Maybe you sent to someone else, simply named Serendipity, wrong company! Ooops!

Old Mar 26th, 2007, 09:40 AM

Roomoo,

I hope you didn't contact the Bible producers by mistake.

When I google Serendipity I got
"Producers of Bibles, small group study guides, and other resources for effective relational small groups. on www.serendipityhouse.com/ - 81k - "

Let us know if they give you a good price, though.

Would contacting the accommodation directly work, especially if you are staying only one place?

Good luck with your short safari search.
Old Mar 26th, 2007, 11:59 AM

When we were in TZ last year there were some people doing short safaris. One was working in Dar and had 4 days free. He did Olduvai camp and Ronjo camp before flying back to Dar. Another couple had climbed Kili and felt obliged to see some animals so they went to Ngorngoro to maximise their chances of seeing what they wanted. They only had two days safari! So short safaris are possible. Not sure about flying to the Seychelles afterwards though.
Old Mar 26th, 2007, 01:20 PM
Original Poster

No, we contacted the right one My fiance did it but he asked about a two week long safari before we talked about what we (I) wanted and we got an itinerary today. He got one for Tanzania and Zanzibar, but I specifically do not want to do Zanzibar. I'm sure you'll be hearing from him again.

My main priority is not seeing a lot game (though I'd like to see hippos) as it is more to go some place secluded and romantic for our honeymoon. People go to Tahiti and Fiji for the beaches so I don't think travelling far for beach is weird but on the other hand, I don't want to spend two weeks on a beach either. I'd go mad. I also don't like unpacking and repacking and unpacking and repacking and staying at a different hotel every other night. So I don't like the two week safaris where you move around so much. Can't I see game (maybe not a variety) if I just stay put at one lodge? I wasn't aware Shompole didn't have great (any?) game viewing. It just looks unbelieveably romantic. What about Mara Explorer? I'd really like to visit a game reserve for four or so days and then spend a while at the beach or at some place like Shompole. We are planning to do a few days in London or Greece beforehand or afterwards to fill out the two weeks. Also, the cost is prohibitive and I'd rather have more quality than sheer quantity. I've already done Europe and the Caribbean extensively several times and both us did parts of Asia this past summer. Africa and South America (Machu Picchu) are the last things I really want to see.

Thanks.
Old Mar 26th, 2007, 03:40 PM

For hippo viewing right from camp, I can recommend Finch Hattons in Tsavo West, Kenya which is set over natural springs or Sand Rivers in Selous, Tanzania on a bend of the Rufiji River. Both are relaxing, romantic camps IMHO (and Sand Rivers could even substitute for beach-like relaxation). Or consider Elsa's Kopje in Meru, Kenya which is another secluded and romantic camp that would make a lovely place for a honeymoon. No hippos on site, but there are hippos in the rivers a short drive from camp. The camp itself is set on top of a rock outcropping with great views.

If you decided to keep the Seychelles, staying in Kenya for your safari would make things easier logistically since you'd have to fly from Nairobi. Another place that is relaxing and beach-like would be staying at Samatian Island in Lake Baringo, Kenya. Not much game here, mostly hippos, crocs and birds.

What time of year are you traveling? Good luck with your decision!
Old Mar 30th, 2007, 11:02 AM

There are plenty of companies that will do 3-5 day safaris. Most folks that climb Kilimanjaro tack on one of these short safaris. We did a full 7 day safari, and I think 5 days would have been good for us. If you were willing to go to Tanzania you could fly into Kilimanjaro and do Lake Manyara, the Ngor. Crater, (and even Tanrangire). The Crater is quite relaxing. You might enjoy a few days staying at a lodge there. You will see tons of different animals in the Crater too. I know Kiliwarriors and Hoopoe do shorter safaris. Thompson and Roy's might too. We found most of the companies very flexible in terms of scheduling.