Reload this Page >

OAT Tours and the Luxor Massacre

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 18th, 1997, 11:37 AM
Neal Sanders

This message is being posted November 17, one day after the murder of 60 tourists near Luxor, Egypt. In 12 days, my wife and I are scheduled to leave for a two week tour of Egypt under the auspices of OAT (Overseas Adventure Travel)Tours, Cambridge, MA. This morning, after reading the full account of the massacre in the newspaper, I contacted OAT and asked what their policy would be in the light of what had happened at Luxor. Their policy, put succinctly, is this: "We have your money. That's all that matters to us. Tough luck." We have been offered the option of postponing our tour until a later time, or transferring to a tour to someplace else. But a refund? "Out of the question." And that travel insurance they encouraged us to buy? "Read the fine print. It doesn't apply." And the fact that the US State Deparment has warned tourists to stay away from Egypt until next February? "We're aware of the advisory, but it doesn't affect our decision." OAT's attitude speaks volumes about the organization, and about putting their revenue and profits ahead of all other concerns. I don't know what our decision will be... OAT has put us in the position of either kissing $8,500 goodbye or going somewhere we will not feel safe (Egypt is the only destination on interest to us to which OAT sponsors tours). I thought other readers who are considering OAT as their tour agent would want to know what they did in this one instance.

Old Dec 5th, 1997, 09:16 PM
Sue

This may be too late for you but I just returned
yesterday from Egypt. The security is excellent now
and I wouldn't hesitate to go ahead with the tour.
I am sorry of the response of OAT. In talking with
others in Egypt, most of the tour groups allowed the
people to cancel. One good thing is that you don't
have to fight the crowds as there was hardly anyone
at the pyramids in Luxor. Good luck.