In a town of 20 million people...

Apr 12th, 2008, 07:23 PM
Original Poster

In a town of 20 million people...

it's amazing to run into someone you know. Yes, our own Debbie aka Casual Cairo and I ran into each other in Gouzlan in the Khan yesterday. She with some contented cusomers from Wisconsin via Czechoslovakia and me with a dear friend from Seattle in tow. Grxxetc--Where were you?
Apr 13th, 2008, 01:21 AM

Would have loved to have bumped into you guys!!!!! Maybe next time.....
Apr 13th, 2008, 06:33 AM

I coulda been the contented customer from WI, but unfortunately I was not. Sorry.
Apr 13th, 2008, 09:58 AM

I could've been the dear friend from Seattle in tow, but unfortunalety I was not! I'm sorry too, sigh!
Apr 13th, 2008, 10:42 AM

I'll be in Cairo in early May.Would you kindly wear nametags from 8 May-11 May,then again for a couple of days around the 16th,in case I should bump into you?
Apr 13th, 2008, 12:16 PM

sunshine007, are the protests over? I heard rumours of another strike action around May 4th. I'll be in Cairo just as massagediva is leaving.
Apr 13th, 2008, 11:53 PM
Original Poster

Maybe all Fodorites should wear name tags thrughout their trips?

Re: protests. There is another general strike called on May 6, but it shouldn't affect your trip.

First off, the sights you want to see will still be operating.

Secondly, the worst problems are in the countryside and nowhere near the places you'll be going.

There may be some protests in Cairo-probably in Tahrir Square which is where the Egyptian Museum is, but your Tour Company should just switch the day you go there with the day you go to the pyramids, for example.

If you find yourself in an area where there are protests, LEAVE THE AREA IMMEDIATELY AND DON'T TAKE PICTURES. DO NOT WANDER OVER JUST TO LOOK. Up in Mahalla the police arrested an American free-land journalist and his Egyptian translater. The American was released a couple days later & lost his film/camera.

These are the same precautions I took in Seattle when the World Trade Conference was there.
Apr 13th, 2008, 11:56 PM
Original Poster

Actually I'm not sure of the date onnwhich the strike is called.
Apr 14th, 2008, 05:48 AM

Thanks for the tips.
Apr 14th, 2008, 06:19 AM

Those are the tips for protests anywhere. Thanks for that reminder sunshine!
Apr 14th, 2008, 02:59 PM

Good to know, sunshine007 - Shukran!
Apr 14th, 2008, 03:32 PM

I think I'll just start wearing a nametage at home or on the road. If Fodors had avatars, we could include that too.
Apr 16th, 2008, 12:40 PM
Original Poster

My office was at Ground Zero in the WTC protests in Seattle. It was quite an experience. One day the building management forced some of the office workers to leave and the police were teargassing people in the vicinity.

Everytime we left the building we had to have everything we needed with us --coats, medicines, etc. because the building might be locked when we returned or there might be rioting and tear gas in the streets.

One day we were locked out of our building for two days in a row. I had a court appearance in Everett, a city about an hour away. Neither the opposing counsel nor I could prepare because our paperwork was in our locked office buildings.

We told the judge that we couldn't prepare because our buildings were locked due to rioting in the streets and asked for additional time to prepare.

He laughed and laughed and told us that he thought he'd heard all the excuses, but we'd just told him a brand new one.