Search

Mawe Ninga

Search this Thread

Old Apr 26th, 2005, 01:00 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mawe Ninga

Has anyone stayed at Mawe Ninga? I came across this camp in some threads, but couldn't find much info. It seems pretty new. What is it like? How does it compare with other places in Tarangire? What are the prices? (or what are they priced similar to)? We are deciding what to choose for our November stay at Tarangire. Any other suggestions?
thanks
Old Apr 26th, 2005, 01:58 PM

I don't know if you've come across this site yet, but they have a description and pics of Mawe Ninga as well as many other lodges and camps in northern Tanzania -

http://www.africadreamsafaris.com/lo...awe-ninga.html
Old Apr 28th, 2005, 12:21 AM

We stayed at Mawe Ninga in September last year for two nights. It was the first camp we stayed in and Kenya Airways had lost our luggage which didn't turn up until we left the camp, so we weren't completely relaxed. I believe that it was fairly new as well and this showed as everything seemed slightly disorganised. The rooms were pretty good and the food ok - definitely mid range and no more. We didn't stay anywhere else in Tarangire so I cannot comment on alternatives - however Tarangire is definitely worth visiting. I can tell you that Mawe Ninga is run by the same people who run Olduvai Camp which is also mid range but much better run. Perhaps Mawe Ninga has got over its teething problems and is now run more smoothly like Olduvai. Both camps give you the opportunity to mix with the Maasai - something we didn't get at the more expensive camps we stayed in later on. Let me know if you want any further information.
Old Apr 28th, 2005, 04:43 AM
Original Poster

Hopefully the service issues have been resolved there. But how are the physical attributes? How are the rooms (is it tents?), main areas, views? how is the location? is it a close to animals?

thanks
Old May 2nd, 2005, 08:16 AM
Original Poster

I have been told by Ros Safari that Mawe Ninga is owned by a tour company and can only be used by its clients. Does anyone know how true this is, and what the tour company is who owns it? any other info on this would be great.

thanks
Old May 2nd, 2005, 09:06 AM

The owners are Tanganyika Expeditions:

http://www.tanganyika.com/acccueil/accueil_gb.php

From the USA it may be best to contact the London office on the contact page.

Various USA-based agents can also book it but others on this board reported quite expensive quotes from the agents.
Old May 2nd, 2005, 08:31 PM

I am also scheduled to stay at Mawe Ninga in mid-June. I have been reassured in no uncertain terms that the "new" Mawe Ninga has nothing to do with the previous one which was not recommended (to put it mildly) on this Board. I have been told that Ranger Safaris bought the old site, renovated it entirely into a 4-star luxury property and it is now being managed by Serena. My travel agent said that the new property hasn't even opened yet. I am praying that it will be a good camp. I'll post my review as soon as I can.
Old May 3rd, 2005, 03:27 AM

Cookndoc

Oops, we are talking about a different property here!

Maweninga is in Tarangire and owned by Tanganyika Expeditions.

Mbuzi Mawe is in the Serengeti and under re-construction by Serena Hotels.
Old May 3rd, 2005, 05:49 AM

cookndoc,
I also think that your agent is refering to Mbuzi Mawe camp which is in the Serengeti. See this thread -
http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=34566561
Old May 3rd, 2005, 07:43 PM

As they'd say on SNL, "oops, never mind".
Old May 17th, 2005, 05:27 AM

Sorry for the delay but if it isn't too late to answer lerasp's questions, here is some information on the rooms and location. The rooms are permenant tents set on wooden platforms with chemical toilets and typical safari showers. Comfortable, decent sized beds and a nice baclony with a couple of chairs. Each room is on a raised platform and has superb views. As it is all new (or it was when we were there in September 2004) it is all very nice. The main area has a bar and dining room with spectacular, far reaching views over Tarangire. There is also a very pleasant area with an open fire where you can sit with a drink in hand, watch the sun set and talk to the Maasai. It is located in Tarangire so game viewing is on the doorstep.
Old May 17th, 2005, 06:20 AM
Original Poster

thanks for your reply. it's not too late! we are still in planning stages of our trip for November 2005. Thank you for your feedback. Sounds like you enjoyed your time there!
Old May 17th, 2005, 10:03 AM

How would you compare this camp to Kikoti, Tarangire Safari Lodge or Tarangire Tree Tops?

Thanks folks.
csuss
Old May 18th, 2005, 05:00 AM

Hi marius1

Thanks for the info about Mawe Ninga.
What did you make of Olduvai Camp?
Also did you stay at Ronjo?

Sorry for bombarding you with questions...you seem to be the only ones whose been to these camps

Thanks!!