Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Africa & the Middle East
Reload this Page > I'm confuse about the best times to see the migration

I'm confuse about the best times to see the migration

Jul 26th, 2000, 08:03 PM
Ginger

I'm confuse about the best times to see the migration

From all the post I've read, it sure sounds like Kenya and maybe Tanzania are must see places to visit. Specifically, is there a time of year to catch pretty good weather, lower crowds, and hopefully great animal viewing, especially part of the migration? July/Aug or Jan/Feb have been mentioned. Does the area of the parks you visit make the time of year matter? This will probably be my only trip to Afica, I sure would like to get it right. Thanks for any input.

Jul 31st, 2000, 09:26 AM
Anna-Sigga

My husband and I spent two weeks in Kenya and Tanzania last Sept and October. The weather was great and the crowds not bad at all. We were smack in the middle of the migration in the Masaii Mara in Kenya in the first week of October - but we were told that it depends on the year. The wildebeast and zebra migrate each year depending on the weather. It was UNBELIEVABLE to see!! - a must if posible.

Jul 31st, 2000, 09:50 AM
bly

Ginger:
We saw the migration from the Serengeti the last week of March/first week of April in 1999. But as the previous poster mentioned, its dependent upon the weather. The weather for us was very comfortable - t-shirts during the day and a long sleeve shirt at night. At Ngorongoro, take a light jacket - higher elevation.

Jul 31st, 2000, 02:53 PM
Ginger

Thanks for your replies, I guess you plan the trip and hope for the best. I am really looking forward to "setting a date". Any other tips/suggestions will be welcomed.

Search this Thread