Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Africa & the Middle East (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/)
-   -   I'm back, and hooked... (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/im-back-and-hooked-788991/)

amycyma Jun 9th, 2009 06:07 AM

I'm back, and hooked...

Got back yesterday, and now I completely understand why so many of you have returned again and again to Africa.

I took tons of photos, which I have briefly looked at, I am happy with the results of many of them. I also kept an extensive journal, which will form the basis of my trip report, but for all that, a few more days of fighting jet lag are needed.

But once again, thanks to all of you who helped me in responding to my questions, and for providing your own experience here on this forum.

amy

Marija Jun 9th, 2009 06:13 AM

Welcome back, I'm delighted you had a great trip! Look forward to reading your report and seeing photos.

aknards Jun 9th, 2009 09:22 AM

Welcome back, Amy! Can't wait to hear/see it all.
anita

Lrob Jun 9th, 2009 09:29 AM

I am heading out for my first Africa trip to Bots on June 18th. Hoping to read your report before I go (hint)! Welcome home, glad you had a great time. I am going to Savuti, Kwetsani & Chitabe.

cary999 Jun 9th, 2009 02:53 PM

You're most welcome, happy to hear safari was great. Looking forward to hearing about it. And how the camera kit you decided on all worked out for you.

regards - tom
ps - 82 days for me

amycyma Jun 9th, 2009 04:27 PM

Lrob,
I will try to get it done by June 18, My goal is this weekend- but I stayed in the same camps,-if you are going to Chitabe Lediba) and they are great.

I don't know if you can request specific guides, but I felt the ones I had at Chitabe and Savuti were the best, each different. Goodman at Savuti was extremely knowledgeable about all the animals and birds and their behavior, and was always trying to set us up for good lighting for pictures. Ebs at Chitabe was a great tracker, finding my first leopard, by noting the calls of the a group of wildebeast, as it indicated a preditor was nearby, and then he went and found the leopard.

Tom
The cameras all worked fine, but the photographer herself was not always up to snuff. My biggest problem was remembering to change the ISO in the morning. I would start out with it at 600 or 800 if I needed it, and then as the sun rose higher sometime I would forget to lower it. I haven't downladed all the pictures yet, so i need to go and do that now.
But my son and the HD video camera -amazing!

amy

LAleslie Jun 9th, 2009 05:39 PM

Welcome back, and welcome to the addict's club.

Treepol Jun 9th, 2009 08:02 PM

Welcome back and I'm also looking forward to your report.

Cheers,

Pol

atravelynn Jun 9th, 2009 08:18 PM

Welcome back amycyma. Glad you enjoyed the trip so much. June 18 may be an ambitious self imposed deadline.

canadian_robin Jun 9th, 2009 08:36 PM

Welcome back Amy! I am delighted to learn that you had a great trip....and when will your next one be?

You'd better not have your trip report done by the 18th - you're going to make those of us who take months to get their reports posted look bad! :-d Robin

scruffypuma Jun 10th, 2009 05:38 PM

Welcome back Amy. Glad to hear you had a great trip and not too many "new camera" issues. Can't wait to see your photos and read about your trip. I am eager to hear about Camp Kalahari, because although I am a repeat safari-goer, the Makgadikgadi Pan will be a new one for me in December and it was not on my initial itinerary (I was considering Zimbabwe, which I have been to before). Again, welcome home.