If you wanted to safari April/May . . .

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 2nd, 2007, 11:34 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have an itch, an "Africa" itch that can't wait until our planned trip in September.
Where would be your choice(s) for safari if you itched to go this April or May (no later than May)? Two weeks or more (has to be long enough to be worth the flights). Budget, I new you'd ask (I always ask posters), let's say $7,000 USD not including the air to/from Africa (maybe can use some frequent flyer miles). $7,000 person, probably going it solo.
Eagerly awaiting your ideas.
regards - tom
Old Mar 3rd, 2007, 12:00 AM
santharamhari

Tom,

What about Mala?-that one room with no single supplement?

Hari

Old Mar 3rd, 2007, 12:04 AM

Hi Tom,

We both know it's got to include Mala Mala - can't possibly wiat until September for that! Blow half the budget on MM and the balance on somewhere cheap to extend the trip up to the desired duration.
Regards,
Carol
Old Mar 3rd, 2007, 12:11 AM

If you're looking for the single room, I think you may have availability problems. Apart from very early April, where I think they have that room available for 5 nights, there is only the odd 1 or 2 nights right through the rest of April and May.
Carol
Old Mar 3rd, 2007, 12:25 AM
Original Poster

Hari, Carol - Yikes, you guys know me too well
Mala's availability is tight. Can get that single room (per their calendar) in all of April and May for only five consecutive nights, April 8-12. That's it, for that room rate. Could do that ($3,000) preceded by Mashatu, 10 nights at maybe $4,000. Or Kings Camp, 10 nights another $4,000. Tempting.
My travel agent is suggesting Madikwe Hills Lodge, Kings Camp, and Leopard Hills (all South Africa of course). He can, I think, get me no single supp there, plus stay four nights get another night no cost. Or something like that. I don't have details yet nor exact cost, yet. Then also flights between camps.
(Carol, I see you're also looking at Mala calendar).
regards - tom
Old Mar 3rd, 2007, 12:35 AM
Original Poster

Carol,
Your recent postings about Mashatu has made it very interesting to me. Just wonder what it will be like in April/May?
regards - tom
Old Mar 3rd, 2007, 01:14 AM

Yup Tom - I make sure that I am always fairly well up to date on availability at MM!! I'm there myself at end of April, June, Aug into Sep? and then November and try to keep an eye on it just in case I'm able to add any extras!

As for Mashatu, I'm afraid I have no experience of it at that time of year. I can only speak for the end of the dry season and find it hard to imagine the area after rains. I would imagine that the game viewing would be comparable though. I'm sure that you already know this, but they have their own website (along the lines of MM's) which I seem to remember gives a description of the months of the year - at least it did when I last looked.

BTW, have you noticed that on the reservation page of MM's site, it no longer lists that 1 room with no single supplement? It vanished a couple of weeks ago. It is obviously still on the availability calendar, but not sure if they are perhaps going to remove this option for new bookings? That would be a shame.

Carol
Old Mar 3rd, 2007, 04:35 AM

Hi Carol,

You are going to be there April June and Aug/September??? and then November??? And I thought I was there too often!

Is this work for you Carol?

The single room for some of March and very beginning of April has my name on it! And I cannot wait!

Kind regards

Kaye
Old Mar 3rd, 2007, 04:52 AM

Hi Kaye,

Yes, I normally do 3 visits per year, but have managed to squeeze in a 4th one this year. No - I would love to say that it was work for me, but unfortunately not. Like you, just an obsession!

Have a great time on this next trip - I know you will. I'm off to the States on Monday for a couple of weeks then have a 4 week wait when I get back before I can head to South Africa. Happy game viewing and give the Bicycle Crossing male a pat from me...on second thoughts, maybe not! From my perspective he is THE most stunning leopard!

Regards,

Carol
Old Mar 3rd, 2007, 06:57 AM
Original Poster

Carol, you're an expert on Mala's calendar, tell me, when a day is red with like a -11 or -10 as for March 15th or 21st, what does that mean?
Also, I wonder why Mala does not offer more than just one "Single Room" ($575), it seems to be very high usage while the "Room" ($1,150) has availability at the same times? (Hey Mala, if you have a "Room" at single rate, April/May let me know, tdgraham at sbcglobal dott net).
regards - tom
ps - yet another thread turning into a Mala love-feast
Old Mar 3rd, 2007, 07:27 AM

Hi Tom, Yeah - strange how this keeps happening. It doesn't take much to get it started!

As you are no doubt aware, they have only very recently changed the format of the calendar to show the number of rooms free or those negative figures. I'm am definitely no expert, but when it came up on screen for the first time a couple of weeks ago, I did wonder! I can only assume that it is a reflection of the number of people waitlisted for rooms, but I stress that is a guess and not even an educated guess at that!

Yes, it would be good if they decided to offer even an extra 1 room at the single rate, but I think that there is such demand for accommodation that it is possibly not viable for them. Like I said earlier, I am worried that even that 1 room without supplement is about to be withdrawn! Here's hoping not!

Carol
Old Mar 3rd, 2007, 07:43 AM
Original Poster

Carol, just seems strange that on like March 28, 29, 30 the "Room" number is 7, red -9, 6. Negative 9, -9, for one day? Something is weird that we do not understand. Maybe just a simple mistake.
Also, I wonder about the amount of great publicity for Mala generated here and that they may increase their rates again and/or withdraw that one room, like you said. Perhaps I'm assuming way too much importance for me/us here . But think I'll back off on any questions or discussions about comparing Mala with other camps. You know what I mean?
regards - tom
Old Mar 3rd, 2007, 08:13 AM
Original Poster

But seriously folks, I want to make a decision on this next week. Any place in Botswana that is not under water and has good game viewing soon? (And doesn't cost $1,000 a night). Tented camp would be ok.
regards - tom
Old Mar 3rd, 2007, 08:42 AM

Tom, yes I know exactly what you mean - if I'm honest that thought had occured to me previously too. I don't post that often, but usually keep an eye on what is being said and do wonder if does help to inflate prices at certain places. I don't think the power of 'word of mouth' recommendations. should ever be underestimated. I suppose it is the basic principle of supply and demand, but increasing the demand may not necessarily be in our best interests!

Good luck on your choice anyway.

Carol

Old Mar 3rd, 2007, 08:50 AM
skimmer

Carol,

You made a good point there ...

Old Mar 3rd, 2007, 09:02 AM

Hi Skimmer!

I think we ran into each other at MM last year. Were you there with Devon as your ranger and had some good shots of cheetah on the runway? I can't remember which of my visits last year that it would have been, but possibly early June? I could be wrong, but if you are who I think you are, then you showed me a few of your pics in the lounge and we had a discussion about Duba Plains!

Carol
Old Mar 3rd, 2007, 09:04 AM

Tom - If that e-mail address you quoted in your earlier post is correct, I hope you don't mind, but I have just sent you something.

Carol
Old Mar 3rd, 2007, 09:06 AM
Original Poster

Carol, yes, and anyone, my good email address. I just had to fish your email out of my spam filter Thanks for the heads up and thanks for the email. Saying this for anyone, your email to me will probably get filtered, I answer all email, if not yours then it got lost. Please, send it again with "no spam" as subject. Thanks.
regards - tom
Old Mar 3rd, 2007, 09:10 AM
skimmer

Carol,

You have an incredible memory ... I was indeed at Mala Mala last June and at one day, Devon, Johnson and I were the first ones out and managed to stay almost two hours with those cheetahs at the airstrip.

This year, I'll only be in Botswana and Duba plains (last camp I visited last year) will be the first camp to visit this year.

Best regards,

Johan

Old Mar 3rd, 2007, 09:16 AM

Hey Johan - yes I had presumed that it was you! I didn't know about this forum then, but put 2 + 2 together later when reading some of your posts. I remember that you went out earlier than everyone else that morning. We were about half an hour behind you, but went straight to the giraffe carcass for the lion/hyaena interaction so you definitely got those cheetah in the best light!

Enjoy your Botswana trip - we may run into each other somewhere else one day!

Kind Regards,

Carol

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -