Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Africa & the Middle East (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/)
-   -   if you take Ambien on flights to Africa (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/if-you-take-ambien-on-flights-to-africa-430577/)

kak113 Sep 9th, 2008 02:21 PM

if you take Ambien on flights to Africa

when do you take it? first leg, second leg, more than one?

We are on the 5:20 p.m flight from JFK to JNB. Thought it might be best to take during layover in Dakar or immediately upon takeoff there.

I am going to have a test run one Saturday night before we go, as it will be nice to get a deep sleep in the midst of planning a wedding, just to make sure we don't have any adverse reactions. Curious as to how the rest of you use it.

skibumette Sep 9th, 2008 02:40 PM

I work in a travel clinic and, to be honest, we recommend that our clients use Ambien once they arrive...rather than on the plane. The reason is that Ambien usually pretty well knocks you out. I know this is the goal on those long flights -- but then you don't move around much or drink fluids. This puts you at higher risk for blood clots.

KRNS Sep 9th, 2008 02:59 PM

Good question, never thought about it. Thanks for the answer, skibumette, will ask doctor for a prescription.

karen

Jed Sep 9th, 2008 03:24 PM

I note that Ambien comes in 5 and 10 mg tablets. Of course people react differently to it.

I occasionally take it, and find that taking 1/2 of the 5 mg is enough to put me to sleep, depending how 'awake' I am.

You might experiment with the dosage before you leave. And you might need just a small amount just to give you a few hours sleep, not 'a full 8 hrs', as if you were home ((*))

divine54 Sep 9th, 2008 03:26 PM

kak
what is AMBIEN???
never heard of that drug...

div

cybor Sep 9th, 2008 03:45 PM

I recently took the 5:20 JFK/JNB and kept my watch set on EST and medicated around 11:30 EST.
The problem with that was that the lights get turned on and the entire plane becomes chaotic for an hour during the Dakar stopover.
Because of this, we waited to medicate after the stop over to get more uninterrupted sleep on our return flight.
DH and I, btw, took Valium (diazepam (sp.)rather than Ambien for the reasons listed by skibu.

Jed Sep 9th, 2008 04:57 PM

<Author: divine54
Date: 09/09/2008, 07:26 pm

kak
what is AMBIEN???
never heard of that drug...>

Ever hear of Google? ((*))

Bill_H Sep 9th, 2008 05:06 PM

<b>do you take it? first leg, second leg, more than one?</b>

I take half a tab on the overnight legs (for me, Houston to Amsterdam and Arusha to Amsterdam), works great as I have problems sleeping because I'm tall.

CarlaM Sep 9th, 2008 05:28 PM

If you decide to Ambien on the plane, make sure you wait until the plane is in the air. Once I made the mistake of taking it right before take off (thinking it takes about an hour to kick in) and our plane had to go back to the gate and unload (engine problems). Needless to say, I couldn't stay awake waiting for the next plane and had to ask someone at the check in counter to wake me up when we were ready to leave.

Also, definitely don't drink alcohol with it, that is a whole nothing scary story.

FWIW, I don't take it anymore on flights. Only when I get home to get over the jet lag and back on US time.
&lt;):)

CarlaM Sep 9th, 2008 05:29 PM

If you decide to Ambien on the plane, make sure you wait until the plane is in the air. Once I made the mistake of taking it right before take off (thinking it takes about an hour to kick in) and our plane had to go back to the gate and unload (engine problems). Needless to say, I couldn't stay awake waiting for the next plane and had to ask someone at the check in counter to wake me up when we were ready to leave.

Also, definitely don't drink alcohol with it, that is a whole other scary story.

FWIW, I don't take it anymore on flights. Only when I get home to get over the jet lag and back on US time.
&lt;):)

Momliz Sep 9th, 2008 06:42 PM

I try to take it as close to the sleeping time in the country that I am going to, if that makes sense - to get on their sleep cycle asap.

pattyroth Sep 9th, 2008 08:16 PM

I concur with the last writer. I had never been able to sleep at all on airplanes, so Ambien is a godsend for me. I take it based on arrival sleep time after I am seat-belted in. I also follow the jet lag diet which has you switch to destination time once you board the plane. www.pbase.com/pattyroth

davgai1 Sep 9th, 2008 09:02 PM

I definitely agree with the statement about getting strapped-in first. Ambien is very potent.

ann_nyc Sep 10th, 2008 05:13 AM

I was considering taking it (and even had a prescription) for my last trip, but decided not to take it, because the first leg (which corresponded more to the destination night time) was too short, and the second (long) leg was during the destination day so I didn't want to sleep too much and get even worse jetlag subsequently.

I also heard that there are actually two formulations, one that puts you to sleep, and one that is long lasting and keeps you asleep. At least for the latter, the inserts warn not to take it unless you have 8 hours to devote to sleep. So for plane use, maybe the NON-long-lasting is better.

I ended up just taking a Benadryl (which is an over-the-counter antihystamine which has drowsyness as a side effect) and I was happy with that.

Since it is a prescription drug, did your doctor give you any advice to go with it? Because as well meaning as we all are, it is best to listen to your doctor first.

cybor Sep 10th, 2008 05:48 AM

A thought on Benadryl (or antihistamines) - It will dehydrate you to a degree.
Make sure you up your fluid intake when taking.
Your mucous membranes may dry out as well which may be uncomfortable and make you more susceptible to bacterias and viruses. Bring a saline nose spray, if using Benadryl or similar.

Also, I've had patients take it and get hyper rather than drowsy.

Try these things at home first.

sandi Sep 10th, 2008 06:08 AM

While I can sleep almost anywhere (except often at night), I do always have my regular sleeping pills - Trazadone. If for some reason I have trouble nodding off on the plane, I just pop a pill and off to slumber.

Doesn't make difference whether it's the first leg or second, nor if I've had a drink.

Tried Ambien once and found I was dreaming in technicolor... when I prefer my dreams in B&amp;W. That was the first/last time I used; besides this didn't work to put me to sleep any better than the Trazadone.

Trazadone has been around for years, is generic (price is good, read: cheap), in 50mg doses and under docs order can take up to 200mgs., no lingering dowsiness on waking.

Whatever you decide, try it out at home in a safe surrounding. Also know, that as easily as any sleep med works first few times, it can sometimes simply stop working for you.

kimwhits Sep 10th, 2008 06:31 AM

First of all, trazadone was used primarily as an antidepressant and then found to cause people to sleep like the dead. For men, there is an unpleasant side effect (or pleasant depending on the circumstance, hopefully not on an airplane) of priapism. Look that up on Google! CAn be an emergency situation or you could lose something!

Secondly, it causes lowering of blood pressure when you stand. You could pass out. I once took it on a trip to Australia, had to visit the loo, and crawled all the way there. The flight attendants almost called the men in the white coats.

It does cause weird dreams!

ANd finally, never take a large dose without trying it at home. Most people can start with a very small dose and still be hung over for the day.

All in all, I think Ambien or a short acting benzo like Atavan is much preferable. Take it from one who has had sleep problems for years, I've tried them all.

I'm not young and take either the Ambien CR or Atavan and sleep for about 5 hours, even through the Dakar mess. Have never had a clot and make sure my legs are not crossed and are stretched out below the seat in front.

I usually arrive in Durban about dinner time, have a nice time with friends, and go happily to sleep at about 11 pm their time.

Any questions??

kak113 Sep 10th, 2008 07:31 AM

as always, a wealth of info!
benadryl would be a great option but that makes me hallucinate! dr suggested to test it out, half a pill so we will try that. I didn't think about the adjusting to the sleeping schedule but that's a good point. and I had heard stories about getting knocked out immediately so I think after the layover will be best provided I know we'll be able to wake up for our connection to CPT. thanks for all the help.
I look forward to a couple nights of testing!

sandi Sep 10th, 2008 01:03 PM

It's apparent that we all have different responses to different &quot;sleep&quot; meds.

Trazadone has never put me in such deep sleep as to be &quot;dead&quot; - just a nice sleep and never fell on my face getting out of bed due to blood pressure changes which seems to be constant always. Used Ativan back awhile, but found it cut the edge to allow ease in falling asleep (naturally), I never had a good sleep... that's now in the rear of the med cabinet. As far as priapism, not any of the men I know.

Benadryl as an antihistamine works fine, but does nothing for me when it comes to sleep.

Again, we're all different. You have to discuss specifically with your physician and don't be surprised if you have to try a few sleep meds before finding the one for you. And, you might find after a few days, weeks or months, even that pill no longer works.

Pleasant dreams :)

christineB Sep 10th, 2008 03:54 PM

When I fly overnight, which I often do, I buy a huge bottle of water. I have dinner at the airport before the flight. I bring my own down booties (restoration hardware) and my own sleeping mask and my own down pillow. I get a window seat to lean my pillow against the wall unless I'm traveling with someone and then I book at the back of the plane a C &amp; E seat which leaves D open between us (in a 2-3-2 configuration). Middle seats are booked front to back so we often have an empty seat between. I take a LORAZAPAM (.5 mg) which isn't a sleeping pill but an anti-anxiety/muscle relaxant sort of thing. It is like the edge taken off by having 4 drinks but without waking later and without any hangover. Nice drug. (I've never used Valium (I never use drugs other than to fly or for migraines) but it might be like that). I take the pill and drink 1/2 the water the moment i find my seat and I sleep or I rest from the moment I get on the plan, even while people are still boarding (just make sure my seatbelt is fastened) and the mask tells those around me that I mean business about resting. In the morning I ignore the annoying &quot;wake up and drink OJ service&quot; and leave the mask on until the wheels hit the ground. Then I just drink lots of water and have a breakfast, maybe one cup of coffee and try to stay up till 10pm. That's the magic number. Never never take a nap. It works like a charm.

Enjoy.