if you rented a car in cape town

Old Sep 17th, 2008, 07:23 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
if you rented a car in cape town

what's a good budget for gas? we are paying for fuel with a private guide to spend a day in the winelands, a trip to hermanus, and a cape point tour. since I don't think we can use a credit card to pay for it, and we're paying the guide cash too, I'm trying to budget how much cash to bring with us since ATM withdrawals have a daily limit. While I totally understand type of car, etc will affect it, even a range would be helpful. thanks!
Old Sep 17th, 2008, 10:41 AM

Rough estimate would be One Rand per kilometer you are going to travel.
Old Sep 17th, 2008, 11:29 AM

1 Rand Per Kilometer is a pretty good estimate... last pricing was around 10 Rand / Liter, so if the car gets 10 KM/liter (about 24 miles per gallon), you're at about one Rand per kilometer.

That said, we did use US issued credit cards throughout the country to pay for gas... I don't think this should be an issue.
Old Sep 17th, 2008, 12:03 PM
Original Poster

Astein -really? I had read that on more than one occassion that we couldn't. that would be helpful as I am not a fan of traveling with lots of cash. thanks.
Old Sep 17th, 2008, 01:40 PM

kak113,

I would suggest you budget as follows:

Cape Point tour - 20 litres = R200

Winelands tour - 22 Litres = R220

Hermanus tour - 30 Litres = R300.

In terms of ATM limits you may only withdraw the equivalent of ZAR3000/day from an overseas account however there are some machines that only allow a R2000 daily withdrawal. Furthermore you MUST notify your credit card company(s) and home bank that you will be travelling in SA so that they can take any restrictions off your card(s) with regard to using this facility in Africa.

Astein12 I have no idea where you used a credit card for gas payments in SA but I somehow do not think you are correct as it is highly illegal for anybody to sell you gas on a credit card in SA. This goes back to the sixties in SA and has not changed since. You may well have used a debit card (which effectivley means you have cash on the card) but most certainly not a credit card (this could mean you are buying on credit and this is what is not allowed). May I also point out that in terms of acceptance SA and any foreign cards have the same standing excepting for the fact that in SA, as already mentioned, you must notify your home bank of your travel plans.

kak113 you most probably have arranged to pay for entrances to places when you are on tour. Generally everywhere that you go will accept credit cards as payment for entrances so you need not worry about carrying cash for this purpose either. Also remember that ATM's are abundant wherever you go and this includes most gas filling stations.

kak113 hope the above helps you to enjoy our city to the full when you visit us. All I can tell you is that it certainly is pretty hard to not like Cape Town. Enjoy.

Very proudly part of the wonderful nation of South Africa

Old Sep 18th, 2008, 04:44 AM

Sorry, you're right... I sort of remembered using a credit card, but went back thru my receipts and couldn't find a gas one.

I don't remember taking out that much cash, but I guess I must have...