Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Africa & the Middle East (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/)
-   -   If you could open a business or work in Africa, where and what would it be? (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/if-you-could-open-a-business-or-work-in-africa-where-and-what-would-it-be-692623/)

Thembi Mar 30th, 2007 10:38 PM

If you could open a business or work in Africa, where and what would it be?

Reading VeeR's report and her last comment http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=34973167
VeeR said "Eric and I strongly discussing opening a Mexican restaurant in Maun since I got healthy while we were there".

Threw me back to the general topic of "wishful thinking" conversation in our household - kaye and I are always romantisisng about "The African Business" to get and keep us there. Understanding OF COURSE that reality is not (mostly) romantic!

If you could work or open a business in Africa what would it be?

Jude

atravelynn Mar 31st, 2007 07:17 AM

I would like to be a vehicle attendant, along the lines of a flight attendant. I'd sit in the back of the vehicle on game drives and occasionally offer drinks and snacks. I'd even bring my own supply of pillows to hand out as needed. I hope I wouldn't have to wear heels, though.

(To all flight attendants: I know I have greatly simiplified and even demeaned your important job but this is wishful, romantic thinking only that has strayed into silliness for me.)

Many of us do engage in our own little reveries about working the exciting adventurous life in Africa. I think most of us who have been there only on holiday have no idea what we would be getting into once reality set in. But we have every right to banish that harsh reality from our day dreams.

Khakif Mar 31st, 2007 10:42 AM

Consider me selfish, but I would want the best of both worlds… living most of the year at home (entwined with friends and family) and traveling to Africa two-to-four times a year for business, charity and adventure (all expenses tax deductible, of course).

I’m not exactly sure what the business would be. Although my background is sales/marketing/product development, I would NOT want to compete with Sandi, Rocco etc., so the business would have to be in an arena other than booking agent.

Seriously, maybe it’s time to think more about what could be, rather than *what is*. Now your post has me thinking; if I were to live my dream, what would it be and who would I take with me? My *Africa Dream Workshop* will be operating this weekend.

And, Thembi (Jude) if the business requires writing skills, I would certainly want to offer you a job…you write beautifully!! Of course, you would have to travel often to Africa for inspiration and fresh writing material.

Thanks for posting this question! You have launched me on new adventure….

matnikstym Mar 31st, 2007 11:08 AM

I thought it would be cool just to move there and do nothing but watch the animals so found a cool house in Phalaborwa S.A. next to Kruger, did some research and downloaded the permanent resident forms from the S.A. gov't. website. At the bottom of page 17 it says, if retiring to S.A. you have to have a minimum net worth of 20 million rand ($2.7 million U.S.)...so there goes that plan...taking donations if you want to help the cause!

PredatorBiologist Mar 31st, 2007 12:26 PM

Easy for me, wildlife research! Honey badgers or wild dogs in Botswana would be my first choices but there's lots of species and angles that would interest me.

I'd also be interested in studying the right whales based out of the southern Cape.

Marija Mar 31st, 2007 12:42 PM

As a biostatistician, I would devote myself to counting tourists and animals.

atravelynn Mar 31st, 2007 01:17 PM

I knew this concept rang a bell. A long time ago Predator tried to get a Fodorite joint effort going where we could all have a role in an African business.

Great minds think allike.

Here's that link

http://fodors.com/forums/threadselec...p;tid=34701392

Thembi Mar 31st, 2007 01:37 PM

Lynn - A Vehicle Attendant! I Love it! :-)) But wouldn't those high heels make it hard when you were out pruning the bushes?

Khakif - (blush) thanks for the encouragement and compliment regarding my writing skills. I look forward to what you come up with after giving the question serious (fun) thought!

Dennis - 20 Million Rand? sheesh! *sigh* - Good luck on the fundraising.

Pred! I AM suprised your dream job in Africa would have something to do with biology... ;-)

Marija - Counting tourists , LOL, I would probably set up in some really out of the way place with my clipboard and record-sheet. By a waterhole somewhere, (with Savannah Dry cider on tap...) - and every six months mark - "Tourist, Caucasian, One."

Lynn (again) that old thread about a Safari Business with the fodor-group being the company is hilarious and doesn't lose any of its humour despite a two year gap! we are all hardcore, mad, aphricaphiles!

Keep those ideas coming.

Dana70 Mar 31st, 2007 02:36 PM

Atravellynn, your F/A job would require you to know the ranger's job; the tracker's job, change tires, clean out the truck when all the guests depart; wash the windshield, return all left personal items to the proper owner, arm yourself and perhaps use a gun for the protection of your guests, change the motor oil, and of course any medical problems incurred would require your immediate attention and probably a lot of bandaging, handholding, snotty tissuues and cpr, all the while incurring unflattering remarks about the lodge and your service. Then you have to smile when they depart,and oh by the way, carry their luggage for them as they have a bad back. I would instead suggest being the perfect guest at the game lodge so the owners will repeatedly invite you back to visit on their tab! (And thats just the basic job description; just wait til you gain senority and everyone says, "but you really know how it's done - so you do it ) I am also kidding as I did understand your joking; but it is so much more than anyone can ever imagine. On the other hand I am mortified by the lack of a work ethic by so many F/A's these days, so I aplogize for their behaviours. There are many out there trying to do their jobs - alas Management has a lot to do with it. They also limit the size of the heel on your shoe - did you know that? Sad but true.
I became a F/A at the age of fifty - yes, it was my dream job. I still love it but only because of the wonderful passengers I met and the places I went. I left when management told me F/As were just "women that could constantly be replaced by the next girl living her dream." I did not post this to start a riot with stories of F/A

Dana70 Mar 31st, 2007 02:56 PM

Sorry - hit wrong button. Just wanted to make it clear I am NOT trying to start a thread on the horrific F/A's one has had to deal with. Believe me, I have had them too! Just adding my 2 cents...about all I was paid too! D.

moremiles Mar 31st, 2007 03:01 PM

You summed it up quite nicely Dana! As an ex-F/A myself, the job is just not what it used to be but I imagine the job Lynn is describing as the new "dream job." I would like to be the airstrip sweeper and have a quad bike or something similar to shoo off the herds of zebra, etc. so that the aircraft can land. While I'm waiting for incoming a/c, I can enjoy the scenery and wildlife that shows up.

cybor Mar 31st, 2007 03:08 PM

Lynn,
Your dream job can be whatever you put into the contract and nothing more. You do however, know enough to be a back seat consultant.

I will simply be a tea consultant or perhaps design lodges or be an onsite nurse/story teller. One must first do much research prior to being a story teller or just be a good liar.

Dana70 Mar 31st, 2007 03:22 PM

Moremiles, Now we're talkin..I'd be right behind you on sweeping! Heck I do that now behind a slobbering lab and a gardening husband - might as well be in a country with a different type of wild animal! D.

atravelynn Mar 31st, 2007 03:56 PM

That's right, I already agreed to prune bushes. Well, I can F/A and prune bushes at the same time but I'll charge extra for the back seat consulting. Thanks, Cybor, for the suggestion.

Just like most of us have no idea what a permanent move to Africa would really be like, we have no idea of what the job of a flight attendant is really like. So thanks for some of those reminders.

Dennis, there's always a freeloader in every bunch. Maybe you could be the Kato Kaelin of Kruger! You seem like a fun guy to have around.

matnikstym Mar 31st, 2007 06:13 PM

like wow lynn, that's like a really awesome idea. Groovy!

tuckeg Mar 31st, 2007 07:38 PM

Dana70,

This is off topic but your comment "They also limit the size of the heel on your shoe - did you know that? Sad but true." struck a cord with me. I am glad to hear that heel size is limited. I have been told by many F/As that their primary job is passenger safety. If that's true, then I think they should wear footwear that would be most useful in the event of an emergency. On one occasion, I saw a FA who had quite high heels on and was not navigating very well (rolled her foot while pushing drink cart). I can only imagine what would have happened if she had do an evacuation in them. Several people around me noticed and also commented on this. Ever since then I have taken note of FA footwear and have noticed that most wear flats. Now I know why.

Tuckeg

sandi Apr 1st, 2007 03:51 AM

Lynn -

... and the famous parting words, a la SNL:

"bye, bye-bye, bye, bye-bye, bye; bye, bye-bye, bye, bye-bye!

definitely, wearing Bruno Magli navy flats!

cybor Apr 1st, 2007 04:43 AM

Flats, no way.
If I was a FA my contract would allow low riding hikers - Bub-by, bub-by now.

Dana70 Apr 1st, 2007 09:17 AM

Tuckeg, You are so right and very observant; the F/A's job is passenger safety ; unfortunately too many supervisors let some get away with anything; jewelery worn in the wrong way could endanger anyone.. Just think about it - tangleing up while trying to evacuate - or heaven fobid, hit someone in the eye while passing the G&T's! We had quite a bit of rules that I don't see being enforced and to me its all safety related...I guess that is now being relegated to TSA's department! And next time you are flying and see something that you feel is not in the best interests of THEIR passengers, I would not hesitate to speak up. Maybe they've just forgotten. The days do get rather long.
And I've only 60 days til I land in Jo'burg!! D.

lenlu Apr 1st, 2007 02:37 PM

Can we pool our financial resources for the 2.7 million? We could live as one big happy family!