If Covid-19 Postpones My September Safari

Old Apr 25th, 2020, 08:56 PM
Original Poster

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If Covid-19 Postpones My September Safari

Gamewatchers Safaris: Flexible booking terms for customers planning to travel once the Kenya government allows visitors to come back on safari and beach holidays.
With the continued spread of coronavirus (COVID-19) to many countries in the world, including in North America and Europe, we understand the anxieties that many prospective travellers may have at this time and are fully sympathetic to those concerns. We are monitoring the situation closely and follow the advice of the World Health Organisation, international governments and the Kenyan authorities.
As a result of the government announcement to suspend travel into Kenya from infected countries for a further 30 days, we are temporarily revising our booking terms and conditions as follows for anyone booked to travel within the next 30 days or to travel between 1 to 6 months from now:

For people travelling in the next 30 days, for those in infected countries who are no longer able to travel to Kenya, we can postpone the booking and carry forward any prepayment to be used as a credit towards a new date of travel at a later time within the next 12 months once the restriction has been lifted to allow travel from the customer’s country.

For those booked to travel in 1 to 6 months’ time (31 to 180 days) for anyone anxious or uncertain about travelling, we will agree to postponement with no amendment fee. For those postponing, we will allow payments made so far to be carried forward to later dates within 12 months of the originally booked date, subject to availability and added cost if there are seasonal differences in cost if travel is in a different season from the date originally booked.
This is a relief. Amy, how about your plans?

Kenya has halted all international arrivals through May 5th (so far).

I'm guessing that when travel resumes there will a new normal, as drastic as the changes instituted after 9/11. That might not be all bad if it prevents colds and flus from being spread on planes. Despite disinfecting my area, I often get sick after flying.
Old Apr 26th, 2020, 04:45 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That's wonderful - so you'll still be able to go, but maybe a year or year and a half from now. That's what we're figuring at this point too, but of course, we hadn't booked anything yet. So, April or October 2021, we hope!
Old Apr 26th, 2020, 09:18 AM
Original Poster

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
sf7307: We might be there at the same time.
I had assumed I would lose my $3,000 + deposit, so I'm relieved. I wonder if the travel insurance will cover the subsequent trip. I guess I'll find out.
Old May 17th, 2020, 09:33 PM
Original Poster

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I was curious so I checked the flights I reserved to -- and from -- the safari in Kenya at the AA website. When I clicked on the itinerary I received a message telling me to contact the reservations dept. Turns out the flights I booked (with AA FF miles) no longer exist. I would have thought the airline would have sent an email, but I guess they are swamped.

The long legs (14+ hours and 16+ hours) had been booked in business class on Emirates, which has those awesome mini suites. The available flights are on BA.

It doesn't matter because I will almost certainly postpone the trip until next year.
Old May 18th, 2020, 06:12 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Have you seen the Adopt an Acre?
Check it out: https://www.porini.com/adopt-an-acre/

I admit - I was impressed with Gamewatchers response. They are doing everything they can - to keep funding coming in for their people in Kenya, to keep customers happy. Better than my other experience with a tour operator!
Old May 18th, 2020, 06:20 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by surfmom View Post
Have you seen the Adopt an Acre?
Check it out: https://www.porini.com/adopt-an-acre/

I admit - I was impressed with Gamewatchers response. They are doing everything they can - to keep funding coming in for their people in Kenya, to keep customers happy. Better than my other experience with a tour operator!
I saw that and thought it was brilliant. I wanted to share it with songdoc but couldn't re-find the email, so glad you posted it.
Old May 18th, 2020, 06:46 PM
Original Poster

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wow! That is brilliant. Thank you so much for sharing!!!
I love that they are doing that!
Old May 24th, 2020, 08:05 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Aloha, Songdoc. Likely you already know this, but in case not.... For the cancelled flights booked with your AA FF miles, the "miles redeposit " fees will be of course waived. (I cancelled milage flights for next month, which are still on the schedule, but redeposit fees were waived. I felt $225 richer.)

What 's happening with your Emirates flights? Is no-penalty cancellation available?
Old May 24th, 2020, 10:48 PM
Original Poster

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks, CaliNurse. The Emirates flights were part of the itinerary booked with AA FF miles, so I'm assuming the miles for the entire booking will be eligible to be reinstated w/o a fee.

I can't imagine that I'd be going this year, but I won't cancel until it is much closer to the Sept. date.