Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Africa & the Middle East
Reload this Page >

If birds, especially flocks of flamingoes is the focus, when would you visit Lake Nakuru and the surrounding lakes?

If birds, especially flocks of flamingoes is the focus, when would you visit Lake Nakuru and the surrounding lakes?

Feb 14th, 2009, 08:09 AM
Original Poster

I know flamingoes are hard to predict.
Feb 14th, 2009, 09:31 AM
Original Poster

Oh no! There should not be an e in flamingos to make it plural. I recall Dan Quayle had a similar predicament with potato. I am not making a political statement. I just have a bird question.

Feb 14th, 2009, 01:10 PM

Lynn,

To answer your initial question, I dunno the nest month. I was there in mid-August, and there were a few thousand of the pink birds visible, but it was not the very peak season. Alas, I forget if I was a month or so early or late.

But here's the good news: in US English, according to Merriam-Webster, it's acceptable to use flamingoes, although flamingos is the preferred spelling.
Feb 14th, 2009, 01:11 PM

in previous post, "nest month" should be "best month." Bad typo when speaking of feathered friends.
Feb 14th, 2009, 02:03 PM

"oe" or "o" both acceptable. You're to smart to even consider yourself in the Quayle category

The flamingos actually birth their young at Lake Natron, where there should thousands and thousands. But, beats me which month/s. After the birthing, the flocks return to the northern lakes.
Feb 14th, 2009, 06:38 PM

Lynn,

I saw thousands at Nakuru in September 2005. However, I have read that sometimes the birds leave for no apparent reason, although its thought to have something to do with algae conditions in the lake.

I'm not sure how seasonal or 'certain' a viewing at Nakuru is, however, I've not read on Fodors of anyone missing out on flamingos at Nakuru so I'd say you were in with a good show.

Cheers,

Pol
Feb 15th, 2009, 03:37 AM

Lynn, we had the same experience as Pol but in Sept 2002. In addition to the algae, we heard floods/droughts also had an effect on whether the flamingos were at Nakuru or some other soda lake. Even with just thousands of birds, it was an amazing sight.

Hmmm, has the birding bug bitten you?
Feb 15th, 2009, 04:27 AM

Lynn,

I believe it was July 2001 that I was last at Nakuru, and yes there were plenty of flamingoes then!
Feb 15th, 2009, 05:52 AM
Original Poster

Rizzuto, nest month could be a Freudian slip.

Ovenbird, I won't be birding to the point of changing my name to a bird species like you.

I know about the unpredictable nature of the flamingos and wondered if there was a time when they were more likely to hang around.

I saw some in late July or Aug.

Just wondering! Thanks all.
Feb 22nd, 2009, 10:24 AM

I saw lots of flamingos in June 2005. I donít think they are seasonal. Sometimes they ďdisappearĒ because of low water levels (the threat at the moment) and concentrated toxins. And, high water levels can make salinity too low for their spirulina algae food. In almost all Nakuru reports Iíve read there have been lots of flamingos, but sometimes there has also been quite a number of dead flamingos.

They breed at Lake Magadi and Lake Natron, but I donít think they have a specific month when they have to do it. At least, Iíve never found any information about that.
Feb 22nd, 2009, 10:27 AM

Btw, last year I saw plenty of flamingos at Lake Oloidien (ex-bay of L. Naivasha) where you donít have to pay any park fees.
Feb 22nd, 2009, 10:46 AM

Thereís a new mayor Disney flamingo documentary called Crimson Wing. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HPqJTzfx9ss

Iíve heard that the flamingos at Lake Natron are now a lot safer from the threat of a soda ash plant, but the pastoralists, that have less powerful advocates than the birds, still risk losing the land.
Feb 22nd, 2009, 04:43 PM
Original Poster

Score 1 for the Flamingos. How sad the birds have more fans than the pastoralists. Might you have a link on that?
Feb 22nd, 2009, 04:53 PM
Original Poster

From what I could find it looks like the soda ash plant will be moved 30-40 kms away, just relocating the problem from flamingos to the people who graze their animals in tbe new location.

Don't know how a bad economy will affect the plant. Perhaps it will put a damper on all construction.
Feb 23rd, 2009, 12:30 PM

Lynn, I donít really have a good link. Hereís the ďThink PinkĒ campaign: http://www.birdlife.org/action/campa...gos/index.html I canít find the positive news that Iíve been told via email. It sounded like the soda ash plant would be stopped. Relocation would still be a threat to local people and the soda ash would still be extracted from the lake. Another threat to people, but not to flamingos is talk about annexing Lake Natron and Oldonyo Lengai to the Ngorongoro Conservation Area.