Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Africa & the Middle East (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/)
-   -   ideas for honeymoon beach holiday to combine with south african safari (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/ideas-for-honeymoon-beach-holiday-to-combine-with-south-african-safari-374018/)

HoneyM Jun 6th, 2008 12:25 PM

ideas for honeymoon beach holiday to combine with south african safari

we were set on mnemba island and had planned to go in what we were told would be low season. CC Africa have just released rates for 09 and Mnemba island is now high season all year around :(

we are very disappointed as we are keen on diving and for such a special holiday we really dont want to stay in a resort type place or somewhere that is 'really nice' rather than incredible.

back to the drawing board for the beach part of our African honeymoon.

any ideas for 3 or 4 nights on Zanzibar in an amazing beach front location (not a big resort feel) that we could add to Mnemba (3 nights)... OR
ideas for 6 nights else where in Africa (to combine with our Sth African safari) that is secluded, has great diving, is all inclusive and has a walk around the island barefoot feel... we fear Mnemba is the only one!

if that is the case we will prob just stay longer at the gorgeous beach we are being married at in Australia before flying to Mnemba for a shorter stay and then heading to Sth Africa.

thanks for any ideas....

PredatorBiologist Jun 6th, 2008 01:07 PM

Not to worry, in my opinion this is going to work in your favor!

On one of your other threads I tossed out that Mozambique would be more convenient and cheaper for you to combine with a South Africa safari. What I resisted saying since you two were so excited about Mnemba is that the diving in Mozambique is almost certainly much better than in the Mnemba area. Furthermore, even though Mnemba is a self contained paradise it is close to Zanzibar with lots of people and activities, and a highly impacted environment. The islands off of Mozambique are absolutely pristine. We had picnics in 3 different locations without seeing another person or sign of humanity until they came to pick us up. It is paradise with exceptional diving with manta rays being commonly sighted. I only snorkeled but I talked to two divemasters at length as well as a couple of divers and all thought it was the best Africa has to offer and world class quality. The snorkeling would be tied for the best I have done with the Surin Islands off of Thailand/Myanmar.

There is also over the top luxury, all inclusive, small, and barefoot options. They are expensive but absolutely cheap compared to Mnemba Island high season, about $300 pppn less or even more savings depending on the level of cabana that you opt for.

Check these luxury retreats on Benguerra Island in the Bazaruto Archipelago which can be reached flying daily from Joburg to Vilanculous (just a 2 hour flight) and on Tuesdays and Fridays from the Kruger/Sabi Sand area (1 hour flight!) making it very convenient with your safari -- no wasted glue night by the airport needed between safari and beach if planned well.

Benguerra Lodge www.benguerra.co.za
Azura www.azura-retreats.com

There also looks to be some excellent options to the north in the Querimbas Archipelago but it is a much longer flight and I have not personally been to that area to give any advice.

divine54 Jun 6th, 2008 02:24 PM

my proposal would be VAMIZI/mozambique.
as you don't mention when you are flying out just be aware they close for refurb from 15 jan till 11 feb 09.
vamizi has different seasons/rates.

http://www.vamizi.com/

PredatorBiologist Jun 6th, 2008 04:01 PM

Divine: have you been to Vamizi, if so I would love to hear all about it. I have been anxious to get to the Quirimbas area and see how it compares to the Bazaruto. I know Nomad is now managing Vamizi as when I was at Greystoke the manager was telling me about it as a new property in their portfolio and showing me the brochures. Definitely looks like a Mozambique paradise. I do think the price is right up there with Mnemba though so I don't think there is much savings there if any.

HoneyM Jun 6th, 2008 07:45 PM

what do you think of 3 night mnemba, 3 nights the palms, zanzibar? ... fiance is still set on the inclusive option of diving on mnemba...

mkhonzo Jun 7th, 2008 03:38 AM

Medjumbe Island Resort. It is northern Mozambique, accessible with one of the SA flights.

Motorized sport not included, but everything pretty in.

Private island, plenty places to add some sizzle to the honeymoon...Too.

It has access to some the most unbelievable reefs in world, many still undocumented.

I don't know current prices.

divine54 Jun 7th, 2008 04:50 AM

@ PB
good to exchange - i am focusing on to greystoke and the other nomad camps for 2009 and appreciate very much what you have to say about it.

regarding vamizi:
haven't been there myself but have heart only great stuff about it.
it's expensive - but what comes cheap nowadays?
the rate (3 different seasons) go up approx. 10 % for 2009 and are between 560 and 840/850 next year. drinks, meals and uo-motiorized activities included. scuba diving is additional e.g. but the dive pro seems to be also very good - incl. courses.

so i am not reporting first hand but from hear say which was excellent. and the planned refurb for beginning next year is also promising - i very much like the idea that a venue does thorough maintenance once a year. as i am convinced by nomad - have met the sales person several times - i would definately give it a try.

hope that helps.

have a great WE!

PredatorBiologist Jun 7th, 2008 01:20 PM

Thanks Divine, I heard only great things too and I am impressed with the Nomad operation so to me that is a plus.

I know you read my Greystoke report but if you have any questions post them or feel free to email me anytime. I did not stay at any other Nomad camps but I likely will next time I come to Tanzania. The guides and management at Greystoke were very strong and the guides were taking additional courses when the camp was closed for the season. The guides change around camps throughout the Nomad properties so I am assuming the overall quality probably approaches the two that I met and they were outstanding.

Sorry to hijack, back to the Honeymoon planning.

Jessup Jun 8th, 2008 04:49 AM

We are headed to Fundu Lagoon in August - www.fundulagoon.com - which is on Pemba Island, right off of Zanzibar. We've heard great things about it and it's definitely small and intimate (although diving costs extra).

HoneyM Jun 8th, 2008 07:29 PM

fundu and vamizi look great.
has anyone been to or know much about the Palms on zanzibar?

Jessup Jun 9th, 2008 05:28 PM

I've heard that palms is great, esp as you can use all the amenities at Breeze's next door. We were deciding between that and Breezes for three nights after our three night Fundu stay but opted for Breezes as it was less money, for the best room, and we felt we'd get the super-intimate experience at Fundu and could save a little money by going with Breezes.

Poppins Jun 10th, 2008 02:23 AM

I have been to Palms. Very small and exclusive.Lovely decor. Very honeymooney. And you can use all the facilities at Breezes.

My only critisism is that Breezes is big so there are a lot of people wandering up and down the beach in front of Palms.

I would also give a shout for Mozambique. No people around, pristine environment etc. But prob more expensive than Zanzibar.