Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Africa & the Middle East (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/)
-   -   I wish I had seen... (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/i-wish-i-had-seen-740047/)

Khakif Oct 1st, 2007 06:07 AM

I wish I had seen...

No matter how many times we may have been on safari, some experiences still elude us. Although we are thankful for EVERY safari opportunity, and each is special, many of us return secretly hoping that this time… Sighting a Sitatunga or Caracal and observing termites hatching are still on my wish list. What’s on yours?

HariS Oct 1st, 2007 06:43 AM

Cheetah!

PredatorBiologist Oct 1st, 2007 06:49 AM

Honey Badger!!!

one2travel Oct 1st, 2007 07:37 AM

Love this question...

Sable, wild dog, meerkat, bat-eared fox, Pel's fishing owl...

Deb

Lynneb Oct 1st, 2007 07:55 AM

Leopard sitting still.

sandi Oct 1st, 2007 08:02 AM

Never ever had a wish list; always enthralled with whatever Africa had to offer. But, if I had to the opportunity, now after having finally seen leopard (not till my 5th visit), it would be Painted Dog.

Nyamera Oct 1st, 2007 08:02 AM

Caracal, honey badger, aardvark, coastal topi, all kinds of snakes.

richardfh Oct 1st, 2007 08:23 AM

Honey Badger... and more snakes...

canadian_robin Oct 1st, 2007 08:51 AM

If you want to see honey badgers or bat-eared fox, go to Kgalagadi Transfrontier Park in SA - we saw so many of both on our most recent visit (July 2007) that we lost count! Robin

PacoAhedo Oct 1st, 2007 09:09 AM

I was with my wife on a game drive at Matetsi Reserve in Zimbabwe 3 years ago.

Suddenly she said ¡ What is that ! .
When i turned around "that" was gone but the guide also show it and he said....that was a magnificent male sable antelope. We looked for them the rest of the afternoon but did´t find them.

I hope I have the chance to see one some day,¡my wife already did while we where in the same vehicle!.

knlaw Oct 1st, 2007 09:59 AM

Lion cubs. Never there at the right time of year.

OnlyMeOirish Oct 1st, 2007 01:53 PM

Leopard ... saw one in Nakuru but didn't get to stay with it long - LOTS of vehicles milling 'round.

Meerkats - I'm blaming Meerkat Manor ... ooh and Kimburu and Patty ;)

Lion Cubs ... who doesn't want to see them? :)

Imelda

jjmb Oct 1st, 2007 05:26 PM

I am excited by everything we see on safari. I never get tired of the mice or the frogs or the elephants or the impala. My husband and I consider ourselves very lucky when it comes to sightings. We have lucked out and have seen pangolin, aardvark, caracal, honey badgers, black mamba, lots of leopards including mating leopards, aardwolf, mating hippos and much more. But we have been unlucky with painted dog, which I really want to spend time with. I had a fleeting glimpse of 2 on our first safari, and haven't found them since. Maybe next time. And seeing a Cheetah at full speed would be phenomenal! And I would love to see a sitatunga. The list goes on.......

ShayTay Oct 1st, 2007 06:26 PM

I've been fortunate to see quite a few things on everyone's wish lists, but I'm still looking for an aardvark, a pangolin and a caracal.

LAleslie Oct 1st, 2007 06:28 PM

Wild dogs, preferably hunting. Hope we get lucky on our upcoming tented camp itinerary in Botswana. Also: pangolin, black rhino. And we saw both sable and roan in Chobe before, but they were so gorgeous I want to see more. Ditto, a cheetah running after prey. It's a breathtaking sight.
Leslie

QueenofDaNile Oct 1st, 2007 06:29 PM

Well, if I was aiming high and going to the right country I would say okapi. Having seen a Pel's mother and chick, sable and leopards up close in Botswana last year, cheetah and painted dogs in TZ three weeks from now would be brilliant.

HariS Oct 1st, 2007 07:07 PM

Hi Paco,

If it hasn't rained much ..... i will guarantee sable and Roan on your trip.

Hari

MonicaH Oct 1st, 2007 07:35 PM

A full view of a leopard...saw the tail and a leg in a tree, far, far away.

Clematis1 Oct 3rd, 2007 03:31 PM

Pangolin and caracal. (and a kill)

Sandi, I'm surprised about you not seeing leopard after 4 visits (glad you finally did). If you go to SA, to Mala Mala, or Londolozi, or Singita, you'll see them.

tuckeg Oct 3rd, 2007 05:18 PM

Quagga, bluebuck, mokele mbembe, kongamato, Nandi Bear, etc.