Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Africa & the Middle East
Reload this Page >

I need a recommendation for a good travel water purifier...

Sep 6th, 2006, 09:39 AM
Original Poster

My husband has decided we need to invest in a travel water purifier for our upcoming trip to Egypt. Has anyone used one they could recommend, or one to stay away from?
Sep 6th, 2006, 12:24 PM
sandi

Why a purifier. Unless you're camping out in the desert, along the usual tourist route, you'll find bottled water available everywhere.

Sep 6th, 2006, 04:12 PM
Original Poster

Sandi...you'd have to know my husband to understand that question! I think he's concerned about brushing teeth and such...we're looking at ones that are almost like individual water bottles...and since everyone here has been so helpful so far I told him I would pose the question!
33 days and counting...got my vaccinations today. Sore arms, but well equipped for whatever comes our way!
Sep 6th, 2006, 04:14 PM

Can he use bottled water to brush his teeth? That's what I do when the water quality is questionable.
Sep 6th, 2006, 04:31 PM
Original Poster

I'm sure he can, Patty. It may very well be that we won't buy one at all, but I think he's just trying to be ultra cautious. And I know him well enough to do the research and allow him to make the choice himself....that way I don't get any grief! ha ha ha
Sep 7th, 2006, 12:15 AM

heymo: I would recommend just what you describe, one that is a water bottle and the filter is in the top and you just squeeze through. It is the simplest to use and will meet your travel needs. I bought one a few years ago and filled it up in creeks in Belize and guzzled away no worries.

I am drawing a blank on the brand but I would recommend you go into an REI if you have one in the area and ask their sales person for a recommendation. I would think it should run about $40.

I'll add in the obligatory you should be fine using local bottled water but if this will add to convenience and give your husband piece of mind it's not very expensive and not a bad thing to have.
Sep 7th, 2006, 02:30 AM

We bought a counter-top water purifier that attached to the kitchen faucet when we moved to Egypt. We used it the first year and when the filters ran out - we never bothered to replace them.

I used bottled water for drinking, mixing KoolAid, making coffee, cooking, etc. My kids used bottled water to brush their teeth the whole time we were there. So I literally went thru a couple of cases of water a week.

I admit - my husband and I used the regular tap water to brush out teeth and we never had any problems - but I wouldn't recommend that for regular visiters.

I understand your husband's concern, but I just don't think it's necessary - the bottled water is just fine. As others have said, just make sure the the bottles are properly sealed. I preferred to use Nestle water but I also used Siwa and Baraka. In our 4 years - I think I only threw out bottles of water a couple of times. It certainly wasn't a regular occurance.

Sep 7th, 2006, 03:42 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the help. The bottled water is the easiest way to go, but if it makes him feel better we'll go ahead and get one. The one we were considering at REI is a brand called Katadyn. By any chnace is that the one you got PredatorBiologist? All of your input is most appreciated.
Sep 7th, 2006, 04:19 AM

Just a simple question:

What shots did you get? I never got any and none are required.

Also, REI, Cabelas, most sporting/camping places. Google it and you will get thousands.
Sep 7th, 2006, 06:09 AM
Original Poster

I got a Hep A, Typhoid and a Polio booster. Both Hep A and Typhoid are primarily for water contamination, and wild polio is endemic to Egypt. We have a travel clinic here in Detroit with our health carrier, they consult with you about what shots are required and what ones are recommended but not absolutely needed. Since we plan to travel to Peru next year they would have been required anyway, I went ahead and got them. The polio and Hep A cover you with one dose, the Typhoid would require a booster every two years. But only if you are traveling to those type of areas.
Sep 7th, 2006, 06:29 AM

Those water bottles with filter sound perfect for using instead of bottled water for drinking. Are they heavy? If I ever get enough money to go to a place where tap water isnít safe, Iíll buy one Ė and Iíll never buy bottled water again.
Sep 7th, 2006, 06:40 AM

heymo: I had a different brand but it was the first generation of water bottle filters, prior to that you had to use pump tube devices and even mine is a clunky.

They are much better now than what I have. I googled up the Katadyn product, that should be a great choice. The Katadyn Exstream model, it provides the microfiltration and carbon filtering that you can use safely anywhere in the world and it has the comfort of a typical sport water bottle. That is a well known brand and I think it is a great choice.
Sep 7th, 2006, 06:48 AM

Nyamera: they are not heavy, 7.4 oz. for the 21 ounce capacity bottle that Katadyn makes. It is a very handy product and nice not to have to always find or lug around bottled water.

The drawback is you have to replace the filter after 160 refills so that would probably be every month or two if you used it everyday. At a cost of about $17 per filter it is still a very cheap alternative to buying bottled water and for just travel one filter lasts pretty long.
Sep 7th, 2006, 07:07 AM

Pred,
Do you find that the bottle top filters impart an iodine taste? I couldn't find one that didn't use chemical purification. Both the Katadyn Exstream and Exstream XR are listed as using iodine on the REI comparison chart. I ended up buying the First Need Deluxe Purifier (a pump filter) instead because it's a non-chemical purifier. We happened to have two water bottles that fit onto it perfectly and cost wise it's about the same for us as we would've needed two bottle top filters, but it doesn't seem to be as convenient. I'll get to try it out for real next weekend in the Sierras.
Sep 7th, 2006, 07:22 AM

Predator,
Thanks. Now I think Iíll be able to boycott bottled water. I donít care about the taste, as Iíve never liked water anyway.
Sep 7th, 2006, 07:39 AM

I'm curious about these in-bottle filters--how are they different from a chemcial purifier. We've used the new chemical purifier when needed (just toss the tabs into your Nalgene bottle) and the newest has no taste that I can detect (no iodine). I thought chem. was the only way to get all the buggies out? Perhaps someone scientifically inclined can clarify for me?

In any case, carrying the tabs everywhere wouldn't be a problem for me (I would prefer it to the filter thing I think) are you considering that as a possibility, too?
Sep 7th, 2006, 08:15 AM

Patty and Schlegal: I just did a quick read but there is an iodine resin system built in so the chemical protection is there and you don't have to add the tablets. Basically the micro filter takes care of all your bacterial sources but some viruses are too small and that's what the iodine resin takes care of. The carbon comes last to remove the iodine taste. I haven't tried any recently so I can't comment on that part -- the old one I had did a good job of removing iodine taste, I have seen mixed reviews on others.
Sep 7th, 2006, 08:51 AM

Schegal,
As I understand it, the difference between chemical treatment alone (tablets) vs chemical treatment with filtration is that the former doesn't remove all protozoa. REI has a couple of articles on water treatment and selecting a filter/purifier that you might find helpful.

http://tinyurl.com/pbnwx

http://tinyurl.com/bvy2r

Filtration removes bacteria and protozoa and a chemical or other process is used to remove viruses.

Here's the one I bought which removes viruses without chemical treatment http://www.generalecology.com/firstneeddelux.htm but it's certainly not as convenient to carry as the bottle top ones or tablets.
Sep 7th, 2006, 08:55 AM

Thanks Pred.Bio. and Patty--the links and explanations have helped clear things up for me. It's funny, until now I didn't even think about whether it might be convenient to bring filtration device with me on vacation (usu. just use for camping) but the idea is kinda appealing for travel to places where bottled water is less readily available. Thanks for the help!
Sep 7th, 2006, 09:24 AM

In 3rd world countries, generally bottled water is about as common as flies. So I'm somewhat confused why you would need a purifier in Egypt. After a couple of days you will find that buying water as you go along is a habit. You can get at your hotel and in the tourist areas, many of the shops sell it too. The touts know all the tourists carry it.

The real problem is to look at the bottle and see if the seal is broken. Not often, but what the scam is to refill empties with tap water.

Only when I am off traveling in remote locations, on my own has there been a rare problem where I wish I had a purifier. And if you run out of water while touring and for some strange reason there isn't any bottled water, drink tea at a shop. Thats an Eqyptian passtime.

So why lug around something your are not going to use??

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO