I'm packing for a trip but it's not Africa

Jan 23rd, 2009, 07:11 AM
Original Poster

I'm packing for a trip but it's not Africa

I leave tomorrow and it's not Africa this time. I fly to Easter Island for a couple of days, spend a couple of nights in Santiago and then meet up with a photography group (shootthelight) and fly to the Falkland Islands. Penguins, penguins, more penguins, seals, sea lions and who knows what else. Maybe an albatross.

Packing for any trip is horrible but if I'm packing for Africa at least I know what to take. This one I have to be prepared for standing in rain all day, cool/cold weather, high winds, sitting or kneeling on the ground AND we have to pack light. I did buy a Kindle so I don't have to carry a bunch of heavy books.

And just so you don't think I've fallen off of the Africa wagon I am working on a September trip to Tanzania.

See you back here on the 16th
~Cindy
Jan 23rd, 2009, 07:45 AM

I was in Easter Island last May and posted photos on the Australia forum if you're interested. Its an amazing place. Santiago is one of my favorite South American cities -- the seafood market is like a museum! Have a great trip.

For what its worth, I also have a non-Africa lengthy trip this year (Jordan, Syria and Lebanon) before getting back to Africa this August (Gabon).

Michael
Jan 23rd, 2009, 08:47 AM

Have fun, Cindy. What a cool destination.

Are you going with your photo mentor?
Jan 23rd, 2009, 09:01 AM

Cool!
Jan 23rd, 2009, 10:29 AM

Enjoy your trip, Cindy! If I had known, I could have sent you my Marmot rain suit; it came in handy on my Costa Rica trip. Let me know how you like your Kindle.

I'll be "spilling the beans" on our Tanzania trip in a separate post.
Jan 23rd, 2009, 10:48 AM

shay,
WAAAAH!!!

cindy,
have a safe, dry, wonderful time,
anita
Jan 23rd, 2009, 02:14 PM

yes, have a great time, and take some wonderful pictures.

and, please report back on the kindle - I too am interested.
Jan 23rd, 2009, 03:35 PM
Original Poster

Michael, I have already read about your trip and looked at your pictures. As soon as I decided to go I looked it up because I remembered that you had been there. I think you've been everywhere! I still want to do a polar bear trip and I remember your photos from that as well. I know you have many destinations to get to but do you also have "things" to see? The Spirit Bears in BC were pretty cool. http://www.pbase.com/cjw/spirit_bears

Hi Sandy, and yes, it's with Chas Glatzer. It's great to see you posting here again.

Sharon, I have the never used rain gear that I took to Rwanda. I hope I bring it back from this trip unused.

Thanks, Lynn, Anita (I gather you can't make it in September?) and Momliz. I will give a Kindle report when I get back. I'm hoping it's all it's cracked up to be (mainly battery life).
Jan 23rd, 2009, 07:58 PM

Cindy, are you SURE I am not your long lost sister ~ lol! Have a fabulous time, I am green with envy
Jan 24th, 2009, 06:49 AM

Have a wonderful trip!

We weren't able to land at the Falkland Islands on my recent Antarctica trip, as the weather was poor, but I remember fondly the landings we enjoyed on my first trip there. I'm sure you'll enjoy it for the scenery and wildlife, both.

Never been to Easter Island, not yet anyway!