I'm off to Kenya for 2 years!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 20th, 2007, 01:34 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm a 24yr old female who is leaving for a 2 year stint with the Peace Corps on May 24th. I'm giddy with excitement, but don't know much about Kenya. I have many questions and was hoping the wisdom of fodors talkers could help me.

What are these sundowners you’re all raving about?
How do women dress? I’ve been told to wear long skirts…how long? What about tops?
What kinds of food should I expect?
Do many people in the small villages speak English?
Should I bring some things for people in my village and for the people I’ll be living with? If so, then what?
Do many small villages have access to internet?
Old Mar 20th, 2007, 01:47 PM
sandi

bubblywine -

I'll take the first one. Your screen name says it all. Sundowners are cocktails as the "sun goes down!" In other words, elbow bending.

The Peace Corp should be able to answer just about any of your questions. Have they not sent you this information? If not, follow-up with them.

Answers will depend on where you will be situated? Area, town, out in the nowhere, big village, small town, type of accommodations, beds, linens, food, clothing, laundry, and on and on. Internet service will depend, again, on where you are located. Some do, more don't, others are via satelite and very slow. During 2/years you will go through different weather conditions, winter, summer, and wet or dry. Clothing will depend on all of this.

Ask the Peace Corp for answers. Their's will be specific for your time in-country. Then, we can probably fill in extras.

Old Mar 20th, 2007, 02:07 PM
Original Poster

They have given me lots of info, but I guess I want less vague general advice from people who love the country. More of "what works for you" advise.

I will likely be in a small village, but won't know where until I'm there.
Old Mar 20th, 2007, 02:35 PM

Bubblywine,

I hope you have a wonderful couple of years.

Skirts-below the knee
Tops-conservative. If you are going to be out in the sun a lot, enough coverage to prevent sunburn.
Foods-that depends where you are staying, but probably a cornmeal-like staple with meat and vegetables will be common.
English-if the students are sent to boarding school, when they come back home to the village they will be able (and probably eager) to speak English
Internet-I wouldn't count on it in a small village. It may be available in a nearby town.
Gifts--something small from your home city or state such as hats, T-shirts.

What has worked for me and for many of us is just an open mind and good attitude. I'm sure you have that already if you are in the Peace Corps.

If you are leaving May 24, I would think the Peace Corps would have informed you of some of these basics, especially food and language, since these things would be particular to the area where you will be living. While Fodorites may be happy to share our experiences, they may not pertain to specifically where you are going and what you'll be doing.

Good luck!
Old Mar 20th, 2007, 04:44 PM

Congrats! Thanks for serving your fellow men. It should be a very rewarding experience.
Old Mar 20th, 2007, 07:09 PM

Many are muslim so respect their customs and cover up. Long pants or long skirts. Long sleeve shirts. Change the materials to extremely light weight. It is worth the expense to have clothes that can be washed and hang dry in less than 12 hours. Most light weight synthetics can do that. No linen, cotton. Buy good sports bras, roads are very bumpy. Take lots of socks. It is so dusty and dirty. Buy sandals that can dry quickly, if they are muddy and clean up. Think light weight, anything heavy is hot. The dirt and the lack of water is what you should keep in mind when shopping. Cotton clings to dirt, stains and is heavy. People are so nice and helpful, but do not take anything valuable at all. This will be the best thing you will ever do, have a wonderful time.
Old Mar 21st, 2007, 03:09 AM

Bubblywine,

Oh, I just love your enthusiasm and admire your commitment. So please don't take this the wrong way, but if you know nothing about a country to which you are going to devote 2 years of your life, maybe you should start finding out. And fodorites will supply much info - but - look - they are holiday makers, and very few will have spent more than a few days in the country; and even then it will have been in 5 star hotels and on luxury safaris.

So you should read up - may I suggest a few good ones:

The Tree where Man was Born by Peter Matthiessen

Uhuru by Robert Ruark.

Out of Africa by Karen Blixen.

That's soft airport stuff, but gives an historical background.

You could look up Wangari Maathai on the net.

You could maybe find Patrick Marnham's "Fantastic Invasion".

You could get yourself a basic swahili-english dictionary and learn a few basic words.

Swahili is not the first language for most people, unless they live on the coast, but the everyday terms will be understood by most.

Which brings me to the comment by samoyeds re "many are Muslims".

I suppose it depends how you define "many" but I would be surprised if more than 10% of Kenyans were Muslim. And 99.99% of them will live along the coast where there is a history of contact with Arabic speaking peoples going back to the 15th century.

However, I would agree that wearing modest clothing is a good idea outside Nairobi (and there too if you want to keep a low profite) - but it has nowt to do with Islam - everything to do with traditional tribal culture (all tribes) that like to keep women in their place.

You asked for input from people who love the country. I do - 5 visits starting with a year in 1972-3.

All the very best.

Would love to hear exactly where you will be going.
Old Mar 21st, 2007, 04:04 AM
sandi

- here again. For clothing, you should stick with comfort and colors that don't show dirt, the reason tan, beige, khaki, green are seen on safari. Also because getting laundry done isn't always on schedule, when it is can be done inexpensively, if not for free. And, be prepared to launder your own underware, so have flakes and cloths line for drying.

Local women wear khanga cloth in many lively bright patterns around their bodies alone or over a skirt. You should be able to find these at low prices and will serve to cover your legs and one on top as a shirt/shoulder/arm covering. There are also kikoys (often mostly found on coastal/beach areas as parao-type coverings)... also great for covering up, also inexpensive. Have your long shorts and t-shirts for you may be in extremely hot environments during your time in-country and needed where you are located i.e., if within your compound with like workers. Crop pants also work.

For winter months (late-July-Sept), be prepared with layers, at nights and mornings can be downright cold, but mid-day temps will rise to mild. But summer months (Dec-Mar) can be hot and especially so the farther north.

Except for the coastal areas where you find the Swahili culture and the largest Muslim community, most in Kenya are of the various tribal communities. There is a large Indian community and plenty of Whites. Besides individual tribal languages, both English and Swahili are the major languages. English is taught in school. So, do pick-up a Swahili dictionary and learn a few words to start, the rest you'll pick-up at time goes on.

You'll learn to use indigenous items in place of toothbrushes, herbs for headaches, tummy problems, sun protection, but you should have your own western products; you'll be able to pick-up replacements with visits to larger towns or if someone does a weekly run somewhere for everyone with whom you work. Most items, even if not the brands you prefer, will be available to purchase.

There are plenty of books you can and should read before leaving and have some (paperback, and lite-weight) for when in-country. They're all quite revealing.

If you'll have free-time and they offer time to visit the Lakes areas, go on safari, etc... do it. You'll understand why so many of us return again and again.

Old Mar 21st, 2007, 04:28 AM

Dear Bubbly,

Very very few people have what it takes to work with the Peace Corps. You must care greatly about people and helping. You must already be aware of great comforts you will be sacrificing.

There is a lovey lady who has been all over Kenya for many years. Her name is Jan Goss , and she is friendly and helpful. She posts often at Bushdrums. Also, there is a nice guy named Matt who posts at Safari link.

If you would like to give me your email, I can ask each of them to contact you to offer some details.

My hat is off to you. You will do wonderful with your spirit. I would love to hear about your experiences while there as you will learn more than tourist know about the grave conditions and such. And you'll be helping and making a difference!

God Bless you. I hope you will leave your email . If not, mine is [email protected]. I will try and talk to Jan and see if you two can get connected.

Peace to you,
Lisa
Old Mar 21st, 2007, 11:19 PM

Go to Staples or one of the other office store and load up on cheap pens. The children will love them as gifts and they are easy to take along. I also brought keychain LED flashlights for adults. They are also light, small and useful. On ebay they run about $0.75 each in lots of 10:

http://cgi.ebay.com/10-Pcs-Super-Bri...QQcmdZViewItem
Old Mar 22nd, 2007, 01:14 AM

I'm sure Tuckeg means well - but handling out pens to children willy nilly is probably one of the worst things you can do.

If you want to help, donate to an organisation where the source of the help is invisible - wateraid, unicef, oxfam, whatever.

I once saw a sign in a hostelry at Monkey Bay in Malawi that said "Pleaee don't give our children sweets, or pens - we don't want them to become beggars".

I think that says it all.

It falls on deaf ears, I suspect.

Old Mar 22nd, 2007, 05:17 AM
sandi

Many countries in Africa have enough pencils to fill warehouse (better it should be food or medical supplies). And, yes, the children shouldn't be beggers. And forget the sweets, most, if not all, of them will never get to see a dentist.

As suggested, things of substantial worth that can be handed over to a school or orphanage - maps - flat or blow-up, soccer balls (w/small pumps). Something easy to pack would be postcards from home, inexpensive children's sunglasses (find a 99-cent store and go crazy); women tend to like nailpolish, which can be shared (pack these carefully, if you choose to bring). Or better, donate to a charity such as Nothing But Nets, that provides mossie nets to families in Africa (and around the world) to protect against malaria.

Hold the pencils, gum and sweets!

Old Mar 22nd, 2007, 08:27 AM
Original Poster

Thank you everyone for your support and advice!

chimani - thanks for the reading suggestions, I was having a hard time thinking of many books in that region.

Sandi - I like the idea of nail polish...any recommendations on how to pack it? I was thinking of gifts for my host family and I won't know anything about them until I get there.

I will have time off to travel around the country/region and would love suggestions on places (other than safaris) to go.

Any opinion on chacos as the ultimate Africa shoe? I would love to arrive in-country with only one suitcase, so packing light is essential. Thanks for the reminder about cotton, Samoyeds, it hadn’t occurred to me that it would be problematic.

And of course I will keep you all posted about where I'll be so you can drop by and visit me!
Old Mar 22nd, 2007, 08:55 AM
sandi

Very carefully and hope the altitude doesn't explode the bottles. We lucked out. Best to keep in their original bubbled package if that's the way you purchase them, or double ziplock. I've already had a bottle of my own polish open; thankfully in a ziplock, but my stuff smelled from polish for 2-1/2 weeks.

For the family, the women and girls seem to like the beauty kits with shower gel, lotion, sponge, etc. These come in all kinds of combinations with various different items, even for your girls and often found on sale. Check them out, and again, in ziplock bags.

When carrying any liquid eve these new unused items, open the bottles and pour a bit out at full bottles will explode. This is the same even for your own personal shampoo, conditioners, etc. etc.

For men, sunglasses, key rings, caps of sports teams or cities.

Do a search on this oard as there are many threads on the subject and I'm sure you'll find some good ideas, that my mind is not connecting with right now.

Old Mar 22nd, 2007, 10:35 AM

How Wonderful,

I have visited Kenya many times you will love it. Word to the wise, if you are going to be there two years you will go thru two winters. They can be very cold, take items that you can layer with a jacket on top. Nights and mornings in winter can be wicked. Bring a knit hat and gloves. I am sure you will be traveling sometimes most vehicles are open so that cold air is wicked. they don't have the easy heat source, ie furnace that we are use to so probably an open fire will be yours. Have a wonderful time and go with a open mind. You will have to go with a stiff upper lip . Take lots of cards for your camera you will get great pictures that you will not want to loose. Gifts of those packs of pens work wonders, the kids can use them for school they really need them a pack can only cost a dollar and you have 10-20 pens to give away.

Have a great trip
Old Mar 22nd, 2007, 04:27 PM

God bless you!!

I just got back from Kenya & Tanzania on March 13th. If I thought I had to stay in Kenya for 2 years I would go AWOL. I compared it to my hitch in the military. "I wouldn't take anything for the experience but I was glad when it was over".
Old Mar 22nd, 2007, 06:18 PM

Chimani,

I never suggested handling out pens willy nilly. Bubblywine asked about presents for the people in her village and her host family. When you are spending two years with people I believe a small individual token of your visit is appropriate. Pens are usually needed especially in remote areas (and that's where most PC workers wind up) and serve a useful purpose. How this got turned into a forum on begging (never mentioned) or aid to non-profits versus individuals (see below) I'll never know.

Sandi,

This isn't about charitable contributions to groups versus individuals, it's about courtesy. When you visit someone in your home country, on leaving do you tell them you just made a contribution to the local school or leave then a small thank you gift? I have supported charities across Africa (as a matter of fact I am making a contribution tomorrow to one in Namibia call NaDEET) but that has never stopped me from giving gifts to my hosts. I believe that is what the poster is asking about. If the village is large, then perhaps a gift to the school might be more practical but not more appropriate.

I suggested pens and lights because I know people can use them. I actually do something different but doubt it would be practical for bubblywine. People have always told me that tourists ask to take their photos and then say they will send them a copy but never do. On my last two trips I brought a portable prnter and offered to take photos of people. The response from Namibia to Tanzania was amazing and people really appreciated them.

Tuckeg

Old Mar 22nd, 2007, 06:43 PM

I should have mentioned that we were almost always given small gifts by our hosts when we left and would have felt foolish without being ale ot reciprocate. Bubblywine may find herself in that position when she leaves.
Old Mar 23rd, 2007, 04:59 AM
sandi

tuckeg -

My first reply was pencils/pens/candy vs something more substantial so the suggestion for a contribution.

The follow-up reply was specific for the host families.

As to visiting friends/relatives here at home, and because most "have enough stuff to last 2 lifetimes" they actually prefer a contribution to their favorite charity. Fortunately, most in Western countries have more options available to us.

Old Mar 23rd, 2007, 06:20 AM

Sandi,

I don't know how pencils or candy entered the discussion, but pens are needed by children in rural Kenya and make very useful and pratical (easy to bring) gifts. Some NGOs have been trying to address this problem but the need is still there.

Tuckeg

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -