Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Africa & the Middle East
Reload this Page >

I'm actually underweight! Must have forgotten something (or alot)!

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 23rd, 2006, 01:00 PM
sandi

Yup, just weighed the duffle and it comes in at 20/lbs (with room to spare). With the carryon, maybe another 12/lbs. It's the carryon with "stuff" that's the killer. And that with enough wears for the entire trip.

But this doesn't include my backpack and all those big faced, tri-color USD. Thankfully, the camera doesn't weigh much; rather light, in fact.

So, either, I forgot lots, or I'm ready for a trip to the Delta! It's scary!

Old May 23rd, 2006, 01:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Congrats =D>

I have to try very hard to be under 15kg in November.
Old May 23rd, 2006, 01:06 PM

Sandi,

You put all your "wears" for your trip in your carryon? What else do you stash in there?

I need a packing list, but one that's not as comprehensive as Lynda's!
Old May 23rd, 2006, 01:18 PM
sandi

Leely -

No! Not all the wears in the carryon. Just one and a t-shirt change in case the worst happens... what can that be? Hey, that's really the only way we know just how much we don't need in Afree-kah or anywhere.

So, if no wears, what else... hairblower, curling iron, fire mask, "stuff" (other than makeup - shampoo, deodorant, powder, meds, etc. etc. etc.), adapter plugs, a few business folders, 35mm camera/film, first-aid kit, extra plastic ties... that's about it.

Patty - I'm still dumbfounded, that I'm under! Know, you'll do just as well. It gets easier, each trip when you return and see what you didn't wear, let alone needed.

Old May 23rd, 2006, 01:30 PM

Thanks, Sandi. I was thinking, "Oh, guess I need a bigger carryon." Worry, worry.

Have a fabulous trip. Check in if/when you can!
Old May 23rd, 2006, 01:31 PM

in case the worst happens....at least you'll have your blow dryer and curling iron!!!
Have a GREAT trip!
Aloha, Dennis
Old May 23rd, 2006, 01:56 PM

I wish I was underweight. <pout>

HAVE A FAB TRIP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Do you guys recommend NOT sleeping so that you'll be extra tired, or going ahead and sleeping normally the night before the first leg?
Old May 23rd, 2006, 02:03 PM

I slept (barely) the night before but gave it my best shot. Was up very early the day of departure though. Once you get off the plane in Afree-kah, you won't be tired anymore, guaranteed!
Old May 23rd, 2006, 02:20 PM

I'd TRY to sleep the night before. You have a looong way to go. Would getting rid of some of the $1 bills help the weight issue?
Old May 23rd, 2006, 02:27 PM

I recently did a trial packing for our trip in 12 days and I was under. I have a backpack which weighs 16 lbs and a daypack with photo stuff which weighs about 10 lbs. So that makes 26 total and all carry on. I'm not going to check anything going out. Coming back is another thing. My backpack unzips and gets bigger and I'll have room for purchases. Also bringing a fold away bag empty to have even an extra checked bag. Is there anything to buy?
Old May 23rd, 2006, 02:29 PM

Hee hee. I wish, Patty. It's the damn camera gear, totally. My check-in duffle weights about 5 pounds! ;-)
Well, maybe 10.

I will just take half a xanax and sleep pretty well. I normally sleep quite easily but tomorrow night - heck tonight! - might be an exception.
Old May 24th, 2006, 04:41 AM
sandi

Yes, Dennis at least I'll have the hairblower and be well coifed, as if the animals care.

Slept like a babe last night (thank you Trazodone); up at 6:15am and online with Afree-kah with last minute stuff.

I'm sure I won't need those sleeping pills in-country as the fresh air knocks me out, like it does a baby. By the time I arrive in JRO, I'll have been on the go about 48-hrs. Though should get some hours of sleep on the flights... I do sleep on planes. For certain, I'll sleep very well that first night; thankfully, we don't have to be up the following morning for a 00-dark-30 flight to somewhere/anywhere.

Will be signing off soon and that's it till next I find a 'puter.

Unfortunately, the trip will be over too soon and June 8th will be here too soon.

Now, I expect everyone to behave while I'm gone!!! Or not! Will miss you all!

Old May 24th, 2006, 05:33 AM

One more goodbye Sandi!!!!!
Old May 24th, 2006, 06:29 AM
bat

have a great trip.
BTW, what do you mean a "fire mask"?
Old May 24th, 2006, 09:08 AM

bat,
I was wondering that myself. I think it might be one of those masks that protects you from smoke inhalation in case of a fire.
Old May 24th, 2006, 09:11 AM
sandi

Sorry, it's smoke, though I always think fire when I see smoke. But it's the smoke that'll kill you.

Old May 24th, 2006, 09:13 AM
bat

I've never thought about traveling with one--where do you purchase them?
Old May 24th, 2006, 09:27 AM

Uhmm, 1. your expecting fires in the bush 2. your buddy is a cigar smoker or wears bad perfume, 3. for dust, perhaps. - shades of Michael Jackson.
Inquiring minds want to know, please.
Sherry
Old May 24th, 2006, 09:43 AM
sandi

Believe Magellan's sells these... about $60, good for 3-yrs before expiration date (maybe it's 5-yrs) know I replaced mine last year.

Perfume is a no-no while out in the bush, as is scented anything; unless you wish to attract animals.

No cigar smokers in this group.

Old May 24th, 2006, 09:46 AM

Isn't this for perhaps a disaster, god forbid, on the plane?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -