Search

guided self drive safaris

Search this Thread

Old Oct 31st, 2005, 05:30 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
guided self drive safaris

For people who want to rent a 4x4 and drive into the bush. I don't advocate any one company, because there are so many good ones that appeal to certain interests and catering levels. These 2 are just examples.

www.masazane.co.za

www.bushtrackers.co.za/tours.asp

It is very common to see Europeans on guided self drives and even the South Africans are doing this. I have organized a couple trips myself for South Africans. One which ended up writing a book about overland travel after our safari.

Old Oct 31st, 2005, 11:33 PM

I might be interested in doing a self-drive safari myself someday, but I can almost guarantee you my son will be interested once he finds out more about them. I'm pretty much a newbie at safaris, so I'm sure this is a really dumb question, but if you rent a vehicle, and you're out there in the boonies somewhere all by your lonesome, what do you do if you get stuck in the mud?
Old Nov 1st, 2005, 03:48 AM

Easy - you inflate the inflatable jack under the vehicle (assuming that you have one) and push the vehicle out little by little. Placing anything hard under the tyres will help.Otherwise you sit right where you are and pray that someone else comes your way before your water and food runs out.
Old Nov 1st, 2005, 04:52 AM

I'm a member of AAA, would that help?
Old Nov 1st, 2005, 05:40 AM

Yes, being a member Alcoholics Anonymous Africa will certainly help in this situation

Problem? what problem?
Old Nov 1st, 2005, 06:42 AM
Original Poster

wjsonl

You have some memories you will not forget for the rest of your life. For me and many other people who have had similar experiences it is the overcoming of obstacles like this that make it worthwhile.

My learning experience was in Omo River/Mago Park area at the end of the rainy season. With mud it can be as simple as putting down brush and branches, let some air out of the tires, or hiring some locals to push you through or sit on your duff and wait till someone winches you out(that was not an option in Ethiopia-no other vehicles for most of the trip).