Egypt and Jordan Travelers Still Going

Old Oct 15th, 2001, 03:53 PM
Louis

Egypt and Jordan Travelers Still Going

We are still scheduled to go to both destinations during the last half of December. If would be interesting to hear from those people that are planning to go to either place between now and the end of the year. Also, of great interest to me and most likely others that plan to go, we would like to hear reports from people that have just returned from this area from the last half of September on. I know of at least one group that is just leaving for Egypt. The object is to create a thread for sharing up to date travel information and experience that will help those that plan to follow. The object is to encourage the means for continued and safe tourism for both regions. <BR>It is important to reach out to the world.

Old Oct 16th, 2001, 05:19 PM
Louis

I noted somebody going to this area on Oct. 19. It would be of interest to know if they still plan to go and if not why not. I think they are from European area.

Old Oct 17th, 2001, 01:02 AM
Nancy

I'm a Canadian living in London and am planning on going to Egypt at the beginning of November. I have been monitoring the travel reports daily and so far I don't think there's too much to be worried about, so I am still planning on going. Of course, the final decision will be a last minute one.

Old Oct 17th, 2001, 08:21 AM
Jason

My wife and I are going to Egypt (Cairo, Luxor, Awan) in late December. We've made extensive inquiries and from what we've found, we're confident of complete safety. One person I spoke to noted, when traveling abroad, he often only sees negative news of WTO riots and the like coming out of America. A foreigner might easily think the streets of American cities are plagued by violence and riots if that's all he/she sees. <BR> <BR>Anyway, my wife and I are far more likely to be injured on our drive to work, statistically, so we're not changing our plans. We're going.

Old Oct 18th, 2001, 01:47 PM
Patricia

We are continuing our preparations for a two week tour in Egypt but still being flexible and steeled against disappointment. Our visit will coincide with Ramadan-- Nov. 17 on-- and we have visited during Ramadan before. Were originally concerned that this might hamper our sightseeing but now thinking it may be a better time. At least there will be fewer Egyptian cigarettes being puffed at around us!

Old Oct 19th, 2001, 07:59 AM
Louis

One of these days I hope we hear from somebody that has just returned. We would love to hear about the trip.

Old Oct 19th, 2001, 12:05 PM
Mom

Louis, although I haven't just returned, I do live here. You should be fine coming here. We are living at an increased awareness level as are those around the world. We were told last week that we are actually safer here than we would be in the U.S. That being said, we were told that things would only be bad here if the US bombs other Muslim countries. The Egyptians rely heavily on the tourist dollar and will welcome you with open arms.

Old Oct 19th, 2001, 04:55 PM
Louis

We are pleased to hear from a person living in Cairo. Your comments are very timely. We would like to keep tourism alive as it is one way to help build on the idea that we are are all on one planet which is our home.

Old Oct 25th, 2001, 09:01 AM
Michael McClure

I would not believe those who are trying to reassure travellers that Egypt is 'safe' for western tourists. <BR> <BR>On Sept. 11th, massive spontaneous street parties broke out in Cairo celebrating the murder of thousands of innocent civilians. <BR> <BR>And it was not merely poorly educated fanatics who rejoiced - well educated, middle class Egyptians joined in. Polls show the large majority of Egyptians feel that the US "got what it deserved". <BR> <BR>Westerners should not feel safe there, and in any case should not contribute economically to a people who have been shown such a degree of hate toward America and the west. <BR> <BR>Beware of individuals who post information to the contrary - Egyptian tourism authorities know how to use these message boards, and although they hate you they still want your dollars.

Old Oct 25th, 2001, 10:52 PM
Jayne

The events of 11th September cannot be compared to anything in history. <BR> <BR>However, I believe if you feel safe and can go without fear then that is the place you should be... <BR> <BR>I wish that I could take the trip that I planned 26th October, but I hesitated due to instincts I felt important! <BR> <BR>Oh... if the world was more understandable - but alas we have made circumstances more complicated... <BR> <BR>

Old Oct 27th, 2001, 03:03 PM
Dina Lydia

My husband and I just returned from a 7 week trip, our very first trip abroad, the last week of which we spent in Cairo. <BR>From the remarks I have read on this message board concerning Egypt, I can't believe these people are refering to the same country I just visited. <BR>The week in Egypt by far was the most enjoyable of our trip, which included parts of Britain, France, Spain, Italy, and Greece, too. I enjoyed all of it, especially Greece, but Egypt was in a class by itself. <BR>The Egyptians treated us like gold. At this point in our trip, I was beginning to feel homesick. But I was utterly charmed by their friendliness and warmth, including school-children and casual passersby, not only those who make their livelihood from tourism. Our taxi driver Ali, referred by a friend, was a personable guide and translator. I am a bellydancer, so I know something about Egyptian culture and music, and we had a few things in common to talk about. <BR>My husband and I made a special effort to be sensitive to the local customs and open-minded. I enjoyed wearing a headscarf and colorful loose, full clothing like the locals, while visiting mosques, museums, and bazaars. We learned a few phrases in Arabic. We stayed in a shabby hotel with character. <BR>Everyone who found out we were American said "Welcome to Egypt!" with a smile.(They must learn this in nursery school!). Some asked us to assure others that there is no bad feeling in Egypt towards Americans. Of course, we took this with a grain of salt---there must be conflicting factions there as anywhere---but we all know their largest national income is from tourism. Everyone is hurting from the sudden desertion of American visitors. And these people were mostly just scraping by before. Why would they celebrate this? <BR>Several people did tactfully ask our opinion of recent events. When they heard that we do not agree with the present administration's military action, they were relived and opened up, expressing their dismay, anxiety and confusion over it. <BR>Then of course, there were the countless breathtaking, exotic, and surprising sights and sounds. I would not have missed this experience for the world. <BR>

Old Oct 27th, 2001, 07:34 PM
Louis

Thank you for posting your remarks. I had astablished this site in the hopes that it would get remarks from real people with recent experiences in traveling to the area without the biases of the madia from both sides of the street. It is so important that, we in the world, learn how to live with each other and this takes contacts between real people. I know that things can change rapidly depending on the action of the US government and others in the Moslem world, however it is important to provide an open forum on travel to this area with hopes for the best.

Old Oct 27th, 2001, 07:37 PM
Louis

I noticed that I spelled media as madia. Considering a lot recently from the Taleban and even the US it may not be a mispelling.

Old Oct 30th, 2001, 05:49 PM
Janie

Louis, We got back from Egypt last Friday. Did I feel safe? I have never felt so safe in my life. The Egyptian people were warm and friendly. We were with a tour group and the security was very tight. They are not about to let anything happen to not just American tourist, but all tourists. I only wish I had had more time. I do not want to get in some crossfire discussion about the political aspects of the resent cowardly act of radical people. I enjoy this message board because I learned so much from different posts before my trip about TRAVEL. All I know is that of all my travels, and there have been many, I would go back to Egypt in a second. Go, enjoy and do not be afraid.

Old Nov 3rd, 2001, 03:30 PM
artg

I will never again travel to any countries that even a small minority of the people support or rejoice in terrorist activities. I think its disgraceful for any Americans to travel to these places especially during this crucial period in American history. <BR>Shame on you! <BR> <BR>

Old Nov 3rd, 2001, 04:13 PM
Louis

This is really very depressing. I started this post as a place for the benefit of people that plan to go to these destinations and a place for people to report back their personal experiences. There are many that are interested in the conditions in these areas devoid of the government and the media spin. This is what tavel is about. I see that it is becoming a forum for other other objectives. At this point I give up.

Old Nov 3rd, 2001, 09:07 PM
Debbie

To Michael McClure; <BR> <BR>Michael said-"On Sept. 11th, massive spontaneous street parties broke out in Cairo celebrating the murder of thousands of innocent civilians." <BR> <BR>Where do you live? How many street parties did you see first hand? Are you reporting what you saw on TV? What I witnessed FIRST HAND <BR> <BR>I know that has to be all you know of the situation so keep quiet unless you can report something that is fact. <BR> <BR>Michael also said, "Polls show the large majority of Egyptians feel that the US "got what it deserved". <BR> <BR>I live in Egypt, Cairo exactly, and there was no such mass partying as you report. They happened to show one small group on television over and over and over again, there were a few uneducated Egyptians quoted in papers as having been happy to see the entity they view as the BIG BAD BULLY (America) as having been knocked down on his ass once, but there was no MASS celebration going on for the lives lost. <BR> <BR>Understand the politics before making such radical replies to people that just want to see the world. Egypt is a very safe place to be now, certainly it seem safer than America at this time. <BR> <BR>If it were as dangerous as Michael seems to think, believe me, I'd be the hell out of here fast... I don't want to die particularly now. <BR>

Old Nov 4th, 2001, 07:07 AM
Michael McClure

Debbie - <BR> <BR>Someone posted one of the many news articles describing the celebrations in Egypt on Sept.11th, and numerous interviews with a wide cross section of Egyptian people expressing joy and satisfaction that so many were murdered here. <BR> <BR>That post seems to have been deleted. If you wish I can email you extensive news items I have been saving that are relevant. Also, lets not forget it was only a few short years ago that dozens of Western tourists were machine-gunned to death in Luxor by islamic extremists. <BR> <BR>I agree this isn't the proper forum for extensive discussion of this issue, and I will not continue the thread. <BR> <BR>But I do believe that as a traveller whose family spends a considerable amount of money on tourism each year, we should be responsible in who we support with those tourist dollars, and that a brief comment pointing this out is appropriate here. Censorship is not the American way. <BR> <BR>

Old Nov 4th, 2001, 08:46 AM
Sheryl

This is from todays NY Times, from section B1, a nation challanged. <BR>The article is More and More, Other Countries See the War as Solely America's. Regarding Egypt the article says: <BR>In the Egyptian newspaper Al Gomhuria, Samir Rageb, who is said to be close to President Hosni Mubarek, asked: "Where are the Americans now? We all thought they were superhuman, equipped with invincible power, wealth and ability to manipulate." Because Americans bomb while being unable to catch Bin Laden, he said, "innocent civilians in Afganistan who complain that they have not tasted beef for 3 years are suffering most of the casualties." <BR> <BR>I strongly feel during this war we should support American interests at home. Spend your travel $$ in the US. <BR>It really is sickening the pathetic responses given by the Middle Eastern leaders and the silent majorty of the so called true Muslims to the cowardly acts of 9-11. Just sickening. <BR>

Old Nov 4th, 2001, 10:06 AM
grasshopper

Art and Sheryl: What if this was your situation...........you plunked down $8,000 months before 9/11 happened for a trip you have always wanted to take. And now, whether you go or whether you don't the money is spent. No refunds due to acts of war. Would you still be saying "shame on you" for travelling? The decision to go or not is a very personal one. Once a traveller determines their personal feelings about safety, perhaps going will allow the opportunity for one to be a good ambassador of America. At any rate, the many vendors and civilians in Egypt were not part of the political decisions and your global representation of Egyptians and Americans and any other citizenship is what got us into this mess to begin with. <BR> <BR>This is a multifaceted problem and there are no easy answers that fit everyone.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -