Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Africa & the Middle East
Reload this Page > I finally read Alexander McCall Smith's fictional series (set in Botswana)

I finally read Alexander McCall Smith's fictional series (set in Botswana)

Nov 24th, 2003, 12:33 PM
Original Poster

I finally read Alexander McCall Smith's fictional series (set in Botswana)

Many thanks for the recommendation, from Darlene, I think.

I asked for some Amazon tokens for my birthday in September, and with them I bought a couple of safari/ birding guides and also a box set which includes the novels "No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency", "Tears of the Giraffe", "Morality For Beautiful Girls" and "The Kalahari Typing School For Men".

I finally read the first one Friday before last and then the others the very next day, yes all three of them!

I found them really enjoyable to read - very relaxing and feel good.

This weekend I read "Swahili for the broken-hearted" by Peter Moore which I also enjoyed. An account of a backpacker's journey from Cape Town to Cairo which gave an insight into both the backpacker mode of travel as well as into the people of the countries he visited, I didn't find myself wanting to travel in quite the same way, though I did envy some of the people-contact he gained through doing so.

Kavey
Nov 24th, 2003, 02:05 PM
Original Poster

Just found out there is a 5th in the series, so will feedback on that once I've bought and read a copy...

Nov 24th, 2003, 04:19 PM
LizFrazier

Both Max and I absolutely loved the series on Mma Ramotswe. We thought Mma Makutsi was hilarious in the last book. We too are awaiting the next issue. So sweetly told. Makes you understand the people of Botswana and their love of their country.

Nov 25th, 2003, 07:35 AM

Yes, lovely books.
Nov 25th, 2003, 08:15 AM

Just to say that I loved every minute of these books too - Hope there'll be a 6th..
Nov 25th, 2003, 08:34 AM

I can see I'm off to the library for these over the next few months!
Nov 25th, 2003, 08:58 PM

Hi Kavey, don't know about Darlene, but I recommended these to you! He does a lovely job of getting you inside the African mindset. The detective Precious is constantly having to make moral choices and you're with her every step of the way. I read the first one while in Botswana so I asked for bush tea at Singita (and they had it). We had no time to shop at the airport when we left, so I boarded without a container of bush tea to share with friends. A South African lady on board heard my story and gave me some of hers... the generous African spirit.
Nov 26th, 2003, 12:37 AM
Original Poster

Hi Clem
You did indeed, but I recall a poster called Darlene getting there first, ages back. Of course I have received the same recommendation several times and been awfully slow to actually get around to reading the books so...
THANKS to EVERYONE who encouraged me to get the books!

What other fictional series set in Southern Africa might I enjoy?
Nov 26th, 2003, 05:02 PM

LOL! Well done! I thought I had "discovered" him and then I turned on some show on NPR discussing books and they brought up his series... Don't you love the way they are so much more than just detective stories (the first title and where it's placed in the bookstore are not really spot on)?

I haven't read any other fictional series set in Botswana.... but wasn't there an old thread about this here...? BTW, had roobois tea at a restaurant today that specializes in many kinds of tea. Do you ever see it on the menu?
Nov 26th, 2003, 11:56 PM
Original Poster

Yes that's what I loved about the books too, Clematis.

I haven't noticed the tea on a menu but I am sure it's available somewhere in London - we have a high number of South African visitors in London so it would be likely that some places offer it.
Nov 27th, 2003, 01:06 AM

It's available in Sainsburys, Waitrose etc - usually marketed as "Redbush tea" which is a literal translation of the Afrikaans.
Feb 14th, 2004, 11:15 AM
Original Poster

I forgot to say that I received the fifth in the series, The Full Cupboard of Life, on Xmas day from my little sister. I read it on the same day as the family relaxed together infront of the TV, with magazines and books, in the afternoon.

I enjoyed it as much as the others.

I am waiting for the 6th to come out in paperback before purchasing it.

Search this Thread