How strict is So. Africa airlines?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 31st, 2005, 09:13 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We will be flying on SAA from JFK to Capetown in 2 weeks. With the 26 lb weight restriction for the small planes within Africa I was thinking of using my 26lb duffel as my carry on bag and not check any luggage at all. But on the SAA website they put a limit on carry on bags at 7kg (15 lbs). Do you think I can get away with a heavier carryon?
Old Aug 31st, 2005, 09:54 AM

I think it depends on how full the flight is. We checked our heavy bags and only carried on valuables, meds, and reading material. We were on a full flight and they were gate-checking lots of peoples bags.

I don't know if they would be that strict if the plane wasn't full. I guess the worst that would happen is they'd gate-check your bags.
Old Aug 31st, 2005, 10:36 AM
Original Poster

I forgot to mention that we will be traveling business class - I think this might make a difference.
Old Aug 31st, 2005, 01:01 PM

I've never flown SAA, but in my experience flying business class means you can get away with murder in terms of carry-on bags. There is a larger 'official' allowance (up to 35 lb on some airlines) and even if your stuff is overweight the check-in agents tend to look the other way. When you get to the gate, if there is room somewhere on the plane, they will find space for your stuff. Obviously, this is a lot easier if you board early.

Cheers,
Julian
Old Aug 31st, 2005, 01:42 PM

On our recent trip from Cape Town to Atlanta we were amazed to see the four feet high wood giraffes being carried onto Economy. I carried a walking stick (souvenir) on board, but when we got to Atlanta for our connecting flight it had to be checked!!
Old Sep 1st, 2005, 03:55 AM

Julian you are soooo correct. Traveling business class, they will find a spot for your bags in the cabin.