Reload this Page >

i can't find anyone who has stayed at Little Bush Camp

Old Nov 22nd, 2006, 05:40 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi all,
My husband and I are trying to decide between Sabi Sabi's Selati Camp (which gets rave reviews all around) and their newest camp Little Bush. So far I can't find anyone who has actually stayed at Little Bush - why is it cheaper than the other camps? Can anyone give me any details? Also, do you need malaria pills for sabi sabi? Thanks and Happy Turkey Day!!
Old Nov 22nd, 2006, 06:21 AM
santharamhari

Regardless of the accomodations or whatever, the game drive experience and the sightings should be the same at Little Bush (compared to Selati).

Hari

Old Nov 22nd, 2006, 08:53 AM

I stayed at LBC earlier in the year. I have also stayed at Selati in the past.

LBC is a charming camp, small & intimate. Staff are really down to earth and friendly. My rangers was Dallas whose enthusiasm for everything around him was quite infectious. As I recall he would switch his radio off and just go, while we never tried finding the big five, but rather focussed on birds we stumbled over everything from leopard to wild dogs and the rest. The game viewing was absolutely fine.

LBC differs from Selati in decorative style, it is more contemprry. The dining area, open plan with an intimate feeling with the bush, I guess a sense created by having limited manicured lawns etc. Also it feels like the bush swells into the lodge.

Selati on the other hand although close enough to the bush is a little more manicured. The style of the lodge is rail themed and antiquated, so really an older colonial African feel. The staff there were great too & even though the camp is two couple larger, really I didn't note the feeling of more folk.

I can't answer the price question, but felt that by comparison to other properties (not only Sabis other lodges) taht LBC offered incredible value. I suspect that the price is geared to create attention as this is a new property for Sabi..

And just BTW: I stayed at LBC because Selati was already fully booked on the dates that I had available.
Old Nov 22nd, 2006, 12:45 PM

Try someone who has stayed at Londolozi Safari Lodge-exactly the same place-just a name change
Old Nov 22nd, 2006, 01:23 PM

S/nut, it is the same location, however I believe that it is not the same place. Sabi has made improvements. Not sure what they are as I never did see safari lodge prior to the name change and refurbs.
Old Nov 22nd, 2006, 02:24 PM
Original Poster

Thank you so much for the feedback. We are going in January and I think we will try the LBC - it sounds like it has a really intimate feel to it. I'm glad you had a good experience there.
Old Nov 22nd, 2006, 03:20 PM

Did you see this previous thread regarding LBC?
http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...4&tid=34902078
Old Nov 22nd, 2006, 07:06 PM

mkhonzo

I have been to Londolozi safari Lodge and as far as I can tell from the pictures posted on the Sabi Sabi website there has been no change.I think Mathew Hodge is the new camp manager(an old ranger who guided me at Earth lodge once).Mathew started out at Sabi Sabi with his good friend Cameron Apple who is now a senior ranger at Londolozi.

Anyway this is a nice lodge,nothing special,and maybe too close to the fence for some.I am of the opinion that there are better lodges in the SSGR to visit than this one.

Old Nov 22nd, 2006, 10:10 PM
santharamhari

what is the total traversing area for Sabi Sabi guests? anyone know?

Hari

Old Nov 23rd, 2006, 06:02 AM

sorry safnut, I must have misunderstood the question, but I thought cantwait2go waqs seeking an opinion on LBC.
Old Nov 23rd, 2006, 10:21 AM

Duanne
Rememer what we discussed about these idiotic forums.
Mark
Old Nov 23rd, 2006, 10:26 AM

Hari
Its is about as big as you and Rocco are going to try and do in Kafue. G-d help you.
M
Old Nov 23rd, 2006, 03:42 PM

Mkhonzo,Mkonzo,Mkhonzo....

The reason I mentioned Londolozi Safari Lodge is because the original poster couldn't find anyone that has stayed at Little Bush Camp.I know of many posters on this board that have been to Londolozi Safari Lodge and seeing that the two lodges are EXACTLY the same place(except for maybe minor refurbs) I suggested a different search.I hope you understand.

Mark

Yes,I remember...Although Mkhonzo knows everything about the soil in the SSGR he/she needs guidance on a few topics(pardon the pun)seeing that he/she was a ranger at Sabi Sabi for years.

Cantwait2go:

I have been to this lodge when it was part of the Londolozi Game Reserve,and to almost every other lodge in the SSGR over the years.It was sold to Sabi Sabi last year for 25 million rand.If you are set on the SSGR then there are definitely better choices.Give me a budget and I will explain.
Old Nov 23rd, 2006, 05:01 PM
santharamhari

Thanks Mark,

I'm sure God will help....

Hari

Old Nov 23rd, 2006, 05:16 PM
santharamhari

And Mark, i loved your pictures, video clips and trip report from your trip to Kafue.....

Hari

Old Nov 29th, 2006, 07:40 AM

Here is applause for Little Bush Camp

See 11-29 7:23 am in this post

http://fodors.com/forums/threadselec...4&tid=34900567

Old Nov 29th, 2006, 08:32 AM

Hi Guys
Ok,Ok,Ok. I am going to be putting up some videos filmed by my late Dad in the 60s and 70s in Kruger. Thats a loooong way back from what we have today but to me that was the REAL Africa of note. Thanks to Marc who gave me the simplest way to do it and I am sure you guys will love it.
Duanne. you know what I am talking about and its a pity that most folk today will never experience it. I love nothing more than seeing pics of OLD Africa and how it once was. How many folks today can say they have experienced OLD Africa, or for that matter, Africa in its real form.
Its changed, now every Tom, Dick and Harry who has 5 safaris under his/hers belt is now an expert on African Safaris. I guess that makes me an expert in Space Shuttle launches as I personally have lit many guy faukes sky-rockets. Ok, hit me but take pity and see my point of view.
Mark
Old Nov 29th, 2006, 09:11 AM

While I don't know if I am one of the folks who can say they have experienced OLD AFRICA, I can say I am one of the OLD FOLKS who has experienced AFRICA.
Old Nov 29th, 2006, 01:28 PM

Lynn
I owe you a 04h30 coffee in the old kettle warmed up on the logs.
Thanks
Old Nov 29th, 2006, 01:35 PM

Mark, my first trip to S.Africa was in 1977 and then Kenya on my honeymoon in 1980. We took my father-in-law's movie camera and filmed lots of wildlife including a cheetah kill. We also have footage of a visit to a Massai village at which my wife was hit by a newborn calf's umbilical cord. The best part is that we forgot about the film and didn't have it developed for years and when we did and had it transfered to a DVD it looked like from the early 1950's...what a hoot. I can only imagine what your old films will show..what a treasure...enjoy them.
Eric

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell My Personal Information